Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Washing Safale S-04

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Washing Safale S-04

I washed S-04 yeast for 1st time yesterday.
After racking beer I put 0.5 l of water in carboy, give it a swirl and left for 30 min. Then I decant some water until I reached that what supposed to be yeast, and pour that in 2 glass jars.

Result after one hour in fridge:

I hoped that I"ll get 3 layers (water on top, yeast in middle and trub on bottom), but there is no trub as I can see. One thing to note, I used hop bag and filtered wort before racking to primary, so I assume there should be few of trub in it..

I left it in fridge over night, and there is still no darker layer on bottom. Level of brown material dropped down under half of jar.

Is this usable, and what do you suggest to be my next step?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Open the jar and make sure it isn't under pressure. It looks like you have thick yeast, beer, and krausen. If that's the case, your jar might bust if you don't vent it soon.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It looks good to me. If it sits more than a week you might want to use a starter before using it. Also check out mrmalty.com for proper pitching rates.

On a side note, most people don't wash dry yeast because of it's cost and the DME you need for a starter costs almost as much as the yeast. That said, its still fun to wash and reuse yeast; its a hobby after all.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks!
Should I rewash it again and then divide into smaller jars, or this is good for dividing it right now?

@earwig
I often use mrmalty for pitching but I just noticed that there is section for re-pitching form slurry.

I am not sure how to use it properly:
Harvest date- If we set it to earlier time then it means that we should use greater amount of yeast. I assume because of dead cells in mean time?
Yeast concentration- how to find out how many cells are in ml (billion/ml), and adjust scroll properly?
Non-Yeast percentage- This is percentage of trub and liquid in jar?

Also, do I really have to use DME for starter or I can use some other sugar (dextrose, cane sugar..)?

Thanks again!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
cobbler
Recipes 

In regards to the yeast calculator you are should be fine leaving the defaults where they are, however it looks like you have minimal non yeast material and the slurry is probably on the thicker side. Your assumption about the harvest date seems correct.

If you are not storing the rinsed yeast very long you can get away without making a starter. I used rinsed yeast from a month ago without a starter and it started fermenting fast and strong.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sugar is not good for starters.
I pay $2.40 or so for Fermentis Ale yeasts, I would not consider washing it. You lose all the convenience of dry yeast in addition to needing to Oxygenate your wort, which I don't need to do with a freshly rehydrated pack of yeast.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Then I decant some water until I reached that what supposed to be yeast, and pour that in 2 glass jars.
I believe you did it incorrectly.. the water that you decanted is what should have went into the jars. What you have there is a jar full of trub I believe. The purpose of washing is that the heavy stuff ( trub) falls to the bottom, and the yeast stays in suspension longer. Put your initial water into the carboy with the trub and swirl it up really good. ( I recommend laying the carboy on its side after getting everything all swirled up) Let that settle for about twenty minutes or so. You should see 2-3 distinct layers. carefully tilt the carboy up and pour THE TOP LAYER ( the water) Into another container and again let it set a few minutes....then again pour that top layer into your storage jars making sure they are completely full... I have found that by laying the carboy on its side I do not disturb the layers and the second step is really unnecessary. Just go from carboy into storage jars......always make sure everything is clean and sanitized and boil your water for several minutes then let it cool before use.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Sugar is not good for starters.
I pay $2.40 or so for Fermentis Ale yeasts, I would not consider washing it. You lose all the convenience of dry yeast in addition to needing to Oxygenate your wort, which I don't need to do with a freshly rehydrated pack of yeast.
for dry yeats it is not really monetarily beneficial.. it is hower with liquid yeasts and not to mention it is kinda cool to do.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 05-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
for dry yeats it is not really monetarily beneficial.. it is hower with liquid yeasts and not to mention it is kinda cool to do.

If you use DME to make starters, I agree. However you can also take second runnings from your MLT and save that to make starters for your next batch(es).

Cost to you: nothing.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
If you use DME to make starters, I agree. However you can also take second runnings from your MLT and save that to make starters for your next batch(es).

Cost to you: nothing.
thats what I do....gonna learn to can from my garden so hoping to get into canning some starter wort this fall.
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply