New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Washed yeast life expectency

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
metalpysko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Washed yeast life expectency

How long can washed yeast live and what is a good temperature to store them at

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Last year, I successfully made 2 different starters out of pilsener yeast that was about a year old. I had it in the refrigerator the whole time. I built up significant starters with them, and had good fermentations with both.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
metalpysko
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Ok amazing news thanks

Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Viability decreases rapidly from what I have read. I would use it within the 2 months.

Time to have some fun

Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Go to Mr Malty and plug it into the calculator, select viability "by date" and see what it says. That's about as good a guess as you'll find.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
metalpysko
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

What is that? Mr malty?

Old 10-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue. When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/testing-limits-yeast-viability-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
JakeFegely
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A follow up question that I have been wondering about. Brewers talk about using a batch of yeast for some number of generations (like 5 to 10). I assume that involves using the entire yeast cake immediately after racking off the prior fermentation.

When you wash and store yeast and then build it up in a starter is that the beginning of a new "generation", or is that new batch of yeast (generation zero)? What constitutes a new generation? 5% of the pitching qty, 50% of the pitching qty? i.e. if I take 100 ml of washed slurry and build it up to 200 ml to pitch, is that a new batch or an additional generation?

Thanks

I thought raising kids required patience until I started trying to convince yeast to make beer.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Generation 1 is the first batch you brew with a new yeast.

Generation 2 is when you use part of the cake, either straight or washed and a new starter. Any re-use is a new generation.

Reason: The yeast manufacturers keep pure yeast strains, and grow each batch from the original strain under lab conditions. Each time you use it, it mutates. Everything you do with the yeast; you alter it's environment, or alter the fermentation temperature, alter the beer gravity, the make-up of the wort, when you harvest the yeast ....... it all makes for selecting different characteristics of the yeast, and the yeast evolves to match it's environment. Therefore the more times you use the yeast, the more it changes from it's original characteristics.

This is not always all-bad. You are essentially creating your own strain, but it will be different from the original.

Sometimes, the way we handle yeast we get bad characteristics. Some people harvest from the secondary (because it is cleaner), but in doing so, you are harvesting the yeast that did not flocculate quickly. So you are starting to select particular traits of the yeast.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
metalpysko
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

So would that result in a cleaner or a slower fermentation

Quick Reply