Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Washed yeast from a dark beer for future batches...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Washed yeast from a dark beer for future batches...

Hey guys,

This is an interesting one a friend in our homebrewers club posed to me the other day, and I've never had experience with it myself:

Say you wash your yeast off a batch, and that batch is a darker beer - in their case a robust porter - and plan to use that washed yeast again in possibly a lighter beer like a pale ale: would you have to worry too much about it darkening it up or changing the flavor? I told them if I was doing it I would decant almost all the dark liquid entirely, just enough to swirl up the slurry and pitch into a superlight DME starter and then decant off that as well before pitching onto a pale ale wort or anything that light, although I couldn't shed any light on whether or not it would affect the taste because I always harvest and use yeast light-to-dark and simple-to-complex, not the other way around.

Anyway, thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

Just thought it was an interesting question. Personally I'd tend to think that there would definitely be some residual characteristics going from that dark to that light of a brew, but then again, if you're careful, maybe not?

On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I'd definitely expect some impact on the flavor, especially if any adjuncts were used at any point or dry hopping was going on in the primary. Generally, most people step up their yeasts by going from lightest beers to darker/higher ABV beers.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Generally, most people step up their yeasts by going from lightest beers to darker/higher ABV beers.
Right - that's exactly my point. This is unusual that they're doing it sort of "backwards" so I was wanting to know if anyone had any experience with re-using their yeast in this particular way.
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

Old 12-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 304 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 302

I do it all the time. I don't notice any flavor impact. I decant most of it off and dump out half the cake while I'm at it, but yeah it works well. I'd be more worried about gravity stressing the yeast than color or adjuncts.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

from time to time i go to a Drake's brewery down the street from my house to get a flask filled with fresh yeast slurry. the last time i did it the only yeast they had ready was out of of a tank of porter. i was making a pale ale that day and used about 1/4 cup, maybe a little more in the pale ale. it was bubbling away that evening and the resulting beer had no hint of roastiness or any other flavor but the intended one. i let the slurry settle down and poured off the beer that forms over the yeast but the yeast i pitched was a dark brown.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax
I do it all the time. I don't notice any flavor impact. I decant most of it off and dump out half the cake while I'm at it, but yeah it works well. I'd be more worried about gravity stressing the yeast than color or adjuncts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak
from time to time i go to a Drake's brewery down the street from my house to get a flask filled with fresh yeast slurry. the last time i did it the only yeast they had ready was out of of a tank of porter. i was making a pale ale that day and used about 1/4 cup, maybe a little more in the pale ale. it was bubbling away that evening and the resulting beer had no hint of roastiness or any other flavor but the intended one. i let the slurry settle down and poured off the beer that forms over the yeast but the yeast i pitched was a dark brown.
Nice. Thanks guys! I will pass this along, although I think he probably already brewed and used the yeast anyway, regardless of hesitation. He's kind of a "screw it, it's good yeast..." kind of guy.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 782 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I took a few ounces of freshly harvested (not washed) cake from an oatmeal stout and dumped it straight into a nice light-colored IPA. No discernible impact on flavor or color.

Of course, it was a really, really flavorful IPA. I'd be hesitant about doing that where the second beer is a light, mild flavored cream ale or some such thing.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it is really washed yeast per the title, I think that would have already answered the question. However, I suspect you are asking about slurry.

Just minimize the liquid carry over and you are fine.

For example, say you used 1 lb of dark or roasted malt in 5 gallons. You pull a pint of slurry. Assume half of that is beer flavored from the roast grains. This would mean you have 1/80 th of the original grains in it, or 1/5 th of an ounce carried over to the new beer. Some people add more than that to some of the lightest beers because the dark grains are supposed to help clear the beer. Try adding a half ounce of black to your next pale ale; you will not be able to detect it. If you let the slurry settle in the fridge for a few days, and decant the liquid, any flavor carry over will be a lot less.

Quick Reply