Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Washed yeast character carry over?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default Washed yeast character carry over?

So I made my first attempt at washing yeast a few months back. It was from some US-05, so if it doesn't work well, not a big deal. Problem was, I had issues with temp control and fermentation occured at 76-78 degrees. The beer has a slight fusel kick at the end, not that bad, but not desired. Since the yeast propogated at these temps, will reusing this yeast cause problems or will I be fine as long as I am below 72 degrees on the next batch I use it for?

My thought would be that it will be fine, cause the fusel is produced by the temp the yeast are consuming the sugar, but I am not yeast expert.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, if you rinsed the yeast and they have been dormant for a few months, you are going to want to build a starter for them. Not every yeast cell that went into the jar/bag/whatever you used has survived the rest. If you rebuild the population from the viable cells and repitch a healthy amount of cells into a properly tempered wort, you will not receive the off-flavors associated with the inital fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply