Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > washed yeast 11-15-11

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default washed yeast 11-15-11

I just put some british aleII yeast on the stir plate for a kentucky bourbon barrel ale brew.. I washed it from another batch on 11-15-11... any guesses as to it taking off or being dead? I have started older successfully... oh yeah using some canned wort I have had in the fridge forever also.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

According to Mrmalty.com yeast that was harvested 1 year ago would have a 1% viability. Since yours is coming up on 2 years I would toss it. The amount of dme you would need to build it up to a good pitching rate would cost as much as MANY vials/packets of new yeast.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 08-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Bottoms_Up
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
I washed it from another batch on 11-15-11... any guesses as to it taking off or being dead? I have started older successfully... oh yeah using some canned wort I have had in the fridge forever also.
That is so old that the vitality must be close to zero (there might be a few live cells left but they will be weak). I usually make a new starter of any washed yeast that I keep in the fridge about every 6 weeks to keep it healthy and strong.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 152

That's quite a while for FROZEN yeast, let alone refrigerated. I've had spotty success with 4-6 month refrigerated, washed yeast. You're looking at like 19 month old yeast. Hopefully you meant 11-15-12???

Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
That's quite a while for FROZEN yeast, let alone refrigerated. I've had spotty success with 4-6 month refrigerated, washed yeast. You're looking at like 19 month old yeast. Hopefully you meant 11-15-12???
nope 11-15-11...... if it works fine if not I will brew something else until I get the right yeast.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer View Post
According to Mrmalty.com yeast that was harvested 1 year ago would have a 1% viability. Since yours is coming up on 2 years I would toss it. The amount of dme you would need to build it up to a good pitching rate would cost as much as MANY vials/packets of new yeast.
some canned wort I have had in the fridge so no real cost there... as I said if it works fine, if not no loss....something to mess with for the time being.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Keep us posted. I'm intrigued. I hope it works! Ha!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

well I just ordered new yeast just in case lol...

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I gonna bet against the nay sayers. I'll take 4:1 odds that the yeast get going and only require 3 steps to pitch into an 1.050 beer. And to the poster who said the DME to get it going would cost too much, if there is any living yeast, you are wrong.

You can get 3lbs of DME for around $13.50/lb. Two tubes of Yeast is roughly $13-$14. So if you have the slightest bit of living yeast in there it would probably take about a pound of DME to get it to a viable count. Thats $4.50; even at 2 lbs of DME you are at $8....you by then you would have enough starter for a couple batches of beer.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

I wish I was more educated on yeast and starter volumes etc.. I just dump some washed yeast onto the stir plate add a quart of starter wort and let it roll.. if it takes off I pitch the whole thing....I gotta start studying up on that... what I am doing works but I know the beer could be better.

BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply