Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wash Yeast with Bottled Spring Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
delvec28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wash Yeast with Bottled Spring Water?

I want to harvest the yeast from my next batch into 3-4 mason jars to use for upcoming batches.

I've successfully accomplished this using pre-boiled and cooled water to loosen the yeast cake from the bottom of the carboy.

However, I wanted to know if you can simply add a gallon of bottled spring water in lieu of boiling and cooling.

Anyone have experience washing yeast this way?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
delvec28
Recipes 

I almost forgot about this thread... came back to it and was surprised that there has not been a reply. Somebody has to have tried this, right?

If not, I just may in the next month or two

Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvec28
I almost forgot about this thread... came back to it and was surprised that there has not been a reply. Somebody has to have tried this, right?

If not, I just may in the next month or two
I've used bottled spring water to top off when I was brewing extract. I do not see how it would be different. Maybe just buy purified drinking water. I am going to try this myself. I hate adding unnecessary steps and for a buck, I'll gladly skip boiling any water.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
delvec28
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
I've used bottled spring water to top off when I was brewing extract. I do not see how it would be different. Maybe just buy purified drinking water. I am going to try this myself. I hate adding unnecessary steps and for a buck, I'll gladly skip boiling any water.
Exactly my thoughts, but I couldn't find anyone confirm this after searching this forum and others!

My issue is me and two buddies brew together, so all our stuff is at another house. Each time I go there, I never have pre-boiled water prepared, and I rarely want to spend another hour to boil/cool it off.

I haven't re-used as much yeast as I would like, so I'm trying to figure out a way to speed up the process.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Loneleigh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have. And its worked fine.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
StinkyVp
Dictator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have not done it but have read where others have. I think the water just has to be sterile. Is bottled water sterile?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
delvec28
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyVp View Post
I have not done it but have read where others have. I think the water just has to be sterile. Is bottled water sterile?
I don't know if it's 'sterile' however you can use it to top off extract batches, so it doesn't infect the beer.

After I sat down to think about it, I remember coming across something where it said you drive out oxygen when you boil, and that helps the yeast stay inactive while they are in your fridge for weeks/months.

However I would think in a pinch if you know you will be brewing in 1-2 weeks, bottled water would suffice.

Quick Reply