Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Waking up 13 month old yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
kanzimonson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

So you don't think a yeast can perform beyond the manufacturer's listed attenuation ranges? Especially when we're talking about adding 100% fermentable sugars and not exceeding the yeast's alcohol tolerance?

There's already plenty of examples of this on this forum:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/simple-dubbel-309296/ (84% ADF)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/skun...dubbel-265071/ (86% ADF)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/stra...dubbel-137032/ (83% ADF)

It ain't just hypothetical, it's achievable. But you gotta have a great fermentation. If you're bringing this up because you're a fan of using old yeast that's fine, but I'm just giving experiential evidence as a reason why it might be worth a second thought. Besides all of that, I loved that dubbel and drank the hell out of it - I just consider it a fortuitous problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
It ain't just hypothetical, it's achievable. But you gotta have a great fermentation. If you're bringing this up because you're a fan of using old yeast that's fine, but I'm just giving experiential evidence as a reason why it might be worth a second thought. Besides all of that, I loved that dubbel and drank the hell out of it - I just consider it a fortuitous problem.
I don't agree with your theory that "old yeast" is going to do a sub par job.

And yes, I do use old yeast. I just revived 6 different strains from 2-1/2 year old slants and I'm going to use all of them.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
hammis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As mentioned earlier in this thread vitality and viability are important. They are a measure of yeast health and typically what you would look at under a microscope when using older yeast. You want to see how many living yeast cells remain and how active they are (the simple definition). And as stated the best way to use older yeast would be to do a stepped starter, slowly growing the yeast count and through the process ensuring proper yeast activity. This is, however, different from yeast mutation. As a particular culture of yeast is used more than once it starts to "mutate", meaning the characteristics of yeast which is for example 7 generations old might not be exactly the same as the original strain. This doesn't mean what the yeast is bad it just means that you might have different attenuation or flocculation etc when compared to the original.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
I used year old 1762 to ferment a dubbel and I regret it. I treated it very well, grew it up a lot, gave it lots of nutrients, stir plate, plenty of oxygen in the wort, and I only got 72% attenuation. The beer was tasty, but could have done with another 8-10 points of attenuation. I will never use old yeast again. While they obviously have the ability to ferment, how healthy are they?
I am confused....if you grew up the old yeast via stepped starters you aren't dealing with old yeast anymore. You "should" have an army of healthy new yeast.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
I don't agree with your theory that "old yeast" is going to do a sub par job.

And yes, I do use old yeast. I just revived 6 different strains from 2-1/2 year old slants and I'm going to use all of them.
If you're doing slants then you're worlds above most homebrewers, me included. I can definitely see how you are able to effectively use old yeast.

My experience is based on an old yeast cake stored for over a year, and I believe the OP is talking about finding an old smack pack in the fridge. I'd consider both of these inferior to selecting the good yeast from a slant and growing it up.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
I am confused....if you grew up the old yeast via stepped starters you aren't dealing with old yeast anymore. You "should" have an army of healthy new yeast.
I guess I'm concerned about either the old yeast mutating during storage, or a case in which they are so nutrient starved that when they finally have the chance to grow again, they are unable to effectively repair themselves and reproduce properly. I mentioned above the story from Yeast in which successive generations of oxygen-starved yeast were less effective fermenters. The common knowledge seems to be that yeast can recover from anything you throw at them but that's not the case. You gotta start with healthy yeast to get more healthy yeast.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
marc06
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE="kanzimonson"]

Also, my dubbel recipe was fairly standard with about 8% crystal malt, some wheat, munich, and base malt, and 10% sugar. So I expected something more like 78-80% attenuation. Maybe 75% at the veeerry lowest./QUOTE]

Also, don't forget crystal malts are largely unfermentable and will impact for final gravity, thus impacting your attenuation.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
kanzimonson
Recipes 

[quote=marc06;4697666]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson

Also, my dubbel recipe was fairly standard with about 8% crystal malt, some wheat, munich, and base malt, and 10% sugar. So I expected something more like 78-80% attenuation. Maybe 75% at the veeerry lowest./QUOTE]

Also, don't forget crystal malts are largely unfermentable and will impact for final gravity, thus impacting your attenuation.
Right, but I mentioned that because I feel that's a relatively common amount of crystal to put in a dubbel, and therefore I should expect a pretty standard attenuation of 75-80%

Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson

Also, my dubbel recipe was fairly standard with about 8% crystal malt, some wheat, munich, and base malt, and 10% sugar. So I expected something more like 78-80% attenuation. Maybe 75% at the veeerry lowest.
Where did you hear/read that?? IF you're mashing as well (as in partial mash or all grain) it's NO issue at all. Even a pound of base malt is more than enough. Plus, there are even plenty of other malts (crystal included) that don't need base malt to convert, you just need to mash them.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts

Quote:
As I understand, those attenuation ranges are for all-malt worts. So theoretically if I make a 1.060 all-malt beer and achieve 75% attenuation with this yeast, I'll have a FG of 1.015. If I were to add enough sugar to this wort to make it a theoretical OG of 1.072, the beer would still ferment to 1.015 because the yeast would consume every bit of the sugar. 1.072 to 1.015 is about 80%
I expect the one with added sugar to have a lower FG. Simple sugars ferment more than 100% apparent attenuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Theory is a wonderful thing that sometimes has no application to reality.
?????? Makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Plus, there are even plenty of other malts (crystal included) that don't need base malt to convert, you just need to mash them.
This is the first time I have ever hear Crystal has sufficient enzymes to convert (actually, any enzymes at all). I know there is a lot of starches in crystal that need to be mashed to get the most from crystal. Where did you find out crystal can self convert?

Quick Reply