Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Waiting to pitch yeast? Is this ok?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
interplexr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Waiting to pitch yeast? Is this ok?

I'll be brewing today but the yeast I've been waiting on probably won't get here till this evening. It's my day off so I can't really change when I brew. I normally let the cooled wort sit covered in the brew pot with the lid sprayed with Starsan and covered in tinfoil for 30 minutes to let a lot of the trub settle before I transfer to my primary. If I wait for the mail guy it might be a couple hours sitting there waiting on yeast.

This is a 3 gallon batch and I typically use White Labs without a starter. It normally seems like enough yeast but if I'm mistaken there feel free to correct me. Critiques are always welcome.

I could transfer a similar batch and wash up that yeast and repitch. It's a hefe strain but not the one I have coming today. That might just mean I'll have to brew again in the near future though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It's fine, although I would transfer to the primary and have the wort sit there instead of the kettle - lower chances for infection, plus you don't get as much stratification before racking.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fermentation, pitching, white labs, yeast

Quick Reply