Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Vinegar Making

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
leviticus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Vinegar Making

Does anyone have any experience making vinegar? I have now read in several places around the internet that indicate it can be quite dangerous for a home brewer - basically, you run the risk of contaminating your entire brewery indefinitely with the acetobactor? My intention is to use a store bought (HBS) liquid mother - I do NOT want to use a powder mother.

If it's as simple as 'don't let the two system touch' (a vinegar system consisting of a single ongoing crock) then I'm not as concerned. Any tips or advice from anyone in getting started, maintaining separate brewing and vinegar setups?

I have an interest in making red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, and malt vinegar (from beer). Right now, I'm thinking of keeping 'ongoing vinegar crocks' in glass drink dispensers (e.g. - http://www.infusionjars.com/).

Thanks for any tips/advice/warnings!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would think you would want to keep everything seperate after the boil, as in seperate buildings/cellars, etc. The acetobacter will be and is in the air all around us, you would be concentrating it however in your building/cellar that you are using for vinegar.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no (intentional) experience with vinegar.

You may have better luck with this question in the wine section?

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply