The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Vigorous First Night

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews View Post
its only my wife and I for now, so the bathtub isn't an in convenience. (2 bath house). I started on a Mr Beer, so every batch gets a little better. From Mr. Beer, to 5 gallon batch on a kit, then full boil rather than concentrated, then a properly cooled wort, not 1 hour ice bath. Next time Temp Control will be done. Need that fridge and controller though. I'd like a full stand up fridge that I can put taps on and what not. i'll have to go online and see what other's have done.
Since active fermentation produces heat (sometimes lots of heat!), the actual fermentation temperature may be up to 10 degrees or so higher than ambient.

I'd suggest grabbing a "fermometer"- a stick on thermometer like for aquariums for the outside of the fermenter. One trick to keep fermentation temperatures cool is to put the whole fermenter in a water bath. For example, in a bin or cooler, and then put water up to the beer line around the fermenter. In the summer, I add a frozen water bottle to the water to keep the temperatures in the low 60s. Ideally, with that yeast strain, you'd have the fermentation temperature at about 65 degrees. I suspect it's much warmer, to have an explosion like that! A too-warm fermentation can create some off-flavors, so I'd really attempt to control that temperature.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

well it is a bath tub, so I suppose I can just plug it and add cold water? i'll need to make sure that the carboy is well stabilized first though. I don't want it sloshing around in there. That'd be bad.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it was still going like gang buster's when I got home last night. So I left the air lock out for another night. The brew store didn't have the 1" tubing so I had to forgo for now. I'll get some from Williams or More beer before my next batch...

Last night I had put just the bottom of the 3 piece back in to help make sure a good seal was made. about 4 hours after I did that heard a nice boom from the bathroom. Went in and found the air lock in the tub and brown crap all over the bath tub. Awesome. I really hope this doesn't cause a problem. I'm still going to let it finish and i'll bottle, but if I've got off flavors i'll be really sad.

When I got up this morning it had settled down significantly. It's still actively expelling CO2 but not foaming out the top. I went ahead a put the air lock back in and watched it for an hour seamed fine before I left. i'll go home and check it again on my lunch break.

Any one know why it did this? I've never had a batch ferment like this. What did I do differently?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews View Post
Any one know why it did this? I've never had a batch ferment like this. What did I do differently?
- high OG = lots of sugar
- 72*F is realtively warm so the yeast liked that, too
- i've read that wlp004 can be a fast n' furious in its fermentation
- low amount of headroom in the carboy, so it didn't take much krausen to hit the top

put it all together, and you get what you got

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so the 1.070 SG and my temp control. Alright then. So I know my next project needs to be a temperature controlled fermentation environment.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good news. I went home on lunch and found that all is right again. No foaming, just a consistent happy air lock. I can see stuff moving around in the beer, and a nice yeast bed going on the bottom, but i'm confident that i'm in good shape. thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply