Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Vigorous First Night

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Hebrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Vigorous First Night

So I brewed my first batch in more than a year last night. I promised my self I wouldn't brew another batch until I had a large, proper brew kettle. My wife got me a 20 gallon boilermaker pot for our anniversary so I brewed last night.

I did a porter for Christmas. The SG read out at 1.070 after a 60 minute boil. I did do steeping grains for 30 minutes prior to adding my extract. I used my new wort chiller to bring the temp down to 70 degrees then pitched to vials of WLP004 Irish ale yeast. (Per MrMalty)

Everything went well, and I was excited to get back into this.

But after the first night of fermentation I checked on it to find a mess. It blew the air lock right out of the carboy. Now, I think I'm still in good shape. If I'm not mistaken, the krausen should act like an airlock its self. I believe that's how Anchor Steam still ferments, with open tanks and krausen fermentations.

What I'm hoping to find out is if i'm correct. Am I still in good shape, or is this batch a waste?

So I put the stopper and air lock back in, so I knew it'd be a smaller hole and better chance of a seal.

here's a video of how fast the krausen is leaving the air lock

thanks in advance.

Micah.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
iowabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The beer should be completely fine, you are correct in that the escaping CO2 will protect the beer inside. I'd get a blow off tube on that thing right away tho, and consider using when next time for 24hrs or so. Search blowoff tube if you need to on here, tons of info.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know about blow off tubes from How to Brew. I just never needed one before. I'll go home and set one up on my lunch. should be fine till noon i'd bet. it's still going crazy.

thanks for the info. I'm glad I asked to be sure.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Cool pix!
If you haven't done so already, cut that star-shaped bottom off the airlocks, opening that pipe.

What do you have in mind for temperature control?

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: 2.3'd | Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 37

You'll probably come out OK. Find a section of hose and run it from the middle tube on the blow off valve into a bucket that you can fill with some sanitizer. Then you can safely blow-off the excess krausen and CO2, without a concern of things contaminating your beer. I'd guess that as long as it's pumping krausen out at that rate, there's little to no concern about contamination. My fear would be when the fermentation dies down a little and the krausen layer settles, you no longer have anything to keep stray yeast and bacteria from finding their way into the carboy.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out! Welcome back to brewing!
-Kevin

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit (10 dumped)

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit (Failure)
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Wit (Take 2)

Old 11-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 247

to avoid this happening next time, leave more headspace in the carboy. you filled this one too high. so make a slightly smaller batch, or use a larger fermentation vessel.

if your homebrewshop carries them, a 1" tube fits perfectly in a carboy opening. no need for messing with air locks. see the third pic here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/i-need-pics-reward-offered-300315/index4.html#post3733394

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks guys....

As for temp control for this batch, that bathtub stays between 65 -72 this time of year. I've been watching it for a couple weeks. For the future, i'm working on getting a spare fridge and controller for fermentation and kegging. that's down the road a bit though.

i'll be checking that carboy regularly. as soon as the fermentation dies enough that I can put the air lock back together i'll do so.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll head over and see if they have that 1" tube. Seams like the way to go now that i'm looking at your pics. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews View Post
thanks guys....

As for temp control for this batch, that bathtub stays between 65 -72 this time of year. I've been watching it for a couple weeks. For the future, i'm working on getting a spare fridge and controller for fermentation and kegging. that's down the road a bit though.

i'll be checking that carboy regularly. as soon as the fermentation dies enough that I can put the air lock back together i'll do so.

Ferementing yeast produce heat Some yeasts a lot of heat. Wort temperature can rise 5° to 10°. If you would have had the bathtub full of cold water the blow off may not have happened. Fermentation would have been slower and the krausen wouldn't have risen as high and as fast. Rest of the family may not care for the bathtub being out of use for several days though.

A swamp cooler in the corner of the bathroom can be worked around. A tub or deep tray filled with water, cotton towel that stays wet around the fermentor, and a fan blowing on it. Swamp cooler set up like this can lower the wort temperature about 8°.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its only my wife and I for now, so the bathtub isn't an in convenience. (2 bath house). I started on a Mr Beer, so every batch gets a little better. From Mr. Beer, to 5 gallon batch on a kit, then full boil rather than concentrated, then a properly cooled wort, not 1 hour ice bath. Next time Temp Control will be done. Need that fridge and controller though. I'd like a full stand up fridge that I can put taps on and what not. i'll have to go online and see what other's have done.

Quick Reply