New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Vienna Lager diacetyl rest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
kmat123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Vienna Lager diacetyl rest

We brewed up a 10 gallon batch of Vienna lager on 3/6/10. It has been sitting in my fermentation chamber since brew day at 50 degrees. I'm planning on pulling it out of the fermentation chamber on Sat for a diacetyl rest. Looking on Wyeast's site they recommend a 24 hour rest at 58 degrees. I was planning on keeping it at rooms temp (in my house 62-68 degrees F) for two days then transferring it to a corny to lager in my keezer for 30 days. Anyone see any problem with this?

http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/ppm-vienna-lager-2/

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

I think it would be better for you to adjust your ferment chamber to slowly ramp to 58 over Wed-Thurs-Fri and let it sit from Fri to Sat at 58. Then pull it out and stick it in the Keezer.

I also thought you were fermenting at 55F...but maybe I was mistaken. In any case, starting it early is better than ramping up too high, especially since in that ferment closet of yours it's probably hotter than your thermostat temp.

Last edited by DKershner; 03-16-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
I think it would be better for you to adjust your ferment chamber to slowly ramp to 58 over Wed-Thurs-Fri and let it sit from Fri to Sat at 58. Then pull it out and stick it in the Keezer.
I respectfully disagree with this. I don't know of any reason to slowly ramp up temps for D-rests. Slowly ramp down, yes there is a reason to do that, but ramping up one can do as fast as conditions allow.

D-rest temps don't have to be exact. You want to be around 10°F higher than your primary fermentation temp. 60-65°F for a D-rest is normal. It's best to do this as fermentation is winding down, but before it is over... around 80% complete is the accepted window.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply