New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > viability of yeast stored in the fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
kcinpdx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default viability of yeast stored in the fridge

Hello - I started a big starter on Tues for a 10 gallon batch I had planned on doing today. As things turn out, brew day has been cancelled. I've got this giant starter in my fridge and would like to use it next weekend instead. Any issues here? Should I add some DME a day before to get it kicking again?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Jmiltime
Recipes 

The main thing I would be concerned with is sanitation. Make sure you keep it covered well and in the refrigerator. I think I would treat it just like another batch of yeast. Create a starter for it a couple of days before brew day and, when ready, pour the wort off of the existing starter and pitch the yeast into the new starter. Then pitch on brew day as you normally would.

Once again,I think your main concern will not be yeast viability if stored in the fridge for just a few more days, it will be sanitation.

Good luck!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
nealperkins

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Let's 'assume' you have the starter container closed (careful that you don't create a bottle bomb if there is more yeast activity.)

With that, no worries, and no need to re-start your starter, just pour off most of the beer and pitch away.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
permo
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

you will be just fine. I actually cold pitch my washed yeast slurries from my fridge directly into my wort all the time. I used to make a starter, I don't even think that is necassary.

Decant the liquid and pitch the slurry, you will be just fine.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Jmiltime
Recipes 

I agree with nealperkins and permo. I make a starter about 1/3 of the time and use harvested yeast every time and have never had a problem with a fermentation. That being said, the purpose for a starter is to make sure your yeast is viable, increase the number of yeast cells for proper pitching rates, and to get your yeast in a more ready state where they are already past the multiplication phase and ready to go to work on the sugar thereby decreasing lag time which decreases the potential for bacterial infection.

If you feel your yeast is viable, have proper amount of yeast cells for pitching and don't mind a small lag (probably minimal from letting your yeast sit for a few extra days) then as said, there is no reason to make the starter. Just pour off some of the starter wort, give it a swirl and pitch away. You should be just fine.

Quick Reply