The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > viability of washed yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Default viability of washed yeast

Does anyone know or have any sources for determining viability of washed yeast? I would like to think it is equal to a fresh vial at maybe 90% but am not sure

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

This question has been asked dozens of times. But unfortunately, unless you invest into a microscope and some plates, there is no guidelines. There are WAY too many variables... strain, age, fermentation conditions, washing conditions, storage conditions, mutations, infections, etc, etc.

From personal experience, I can only tell you that my washed yeast always behaves better than a fresh smack pack. Regardless I always make a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Jbear
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should make a starter, its really the only easy way to verify viable yeast at the home brewing level... I agree with BigB though, my washed yeast has always been more robust, etc than a new pack, even after 2-3 months in the fridge.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Like everyone else as said, the only way I test viability, is to make a starter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

So really then, with yeast viability swinging by possibly as much as 30% (impossible to know w/out lab equipment) the whole MrMalty calculator idea is a rough guideline at best, it seems

Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The only way to tell the viability is to pitch it in a new batch and judge it based off of airlock activity. That is the ONLY reliable sign of fermentation and yeast health.

but on a more serious note, I had the same problem with the Mr.Malty calculator thing as well. Simply eyeballing the % of trub and the yeast viability seems to be so inaccurate to the point of nonsense. I think saying pitch 1/3 of the yeast that you got from washing would be more accurate.

But making a starter will help negate those guesses and ensure the right amount of yeast

Quick Reply