Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Vessels shapes for starters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Vessels shapes for starters

Does anyone know of any research that says a starter vessel should be one shape (flask) over another (bottle, bucket, etc)

Yeah I admit it, I'm trying to buy another peice of equipment and just reuse stuff I have, like a 2 quart pitcher for making ice tea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it will spin the stir bar then it will work. The bottom needs to be flat to work best but I've used rounded bottoms too. They just require more work to get the thing spinning. Go to dollar tree. 99 cents store or whatever and I bet you'll find something there that works.

BTW, if you aren't using a stir plate then a 1 or 2 liter coke bottle works great. Just leave it half opened.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Shape doesn't really matter. Most people use the pyrex flasks so they can heat the starter on the stove and cool it without having to transfer. As long as your sanitation is good any vessel that will hold the amount of starter you want to make should be fine. If the pitcher is plastic just make sure there is no scratches where bacteria can hide also make sure you have some room for krausen to form.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts

I use a 750ml beer bottle. No I can't see the starter through it, and I don't make huge starters, but its convenient.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts

I uses a 3l wine jug for the last starter. I was just currious about the shape thing. I mean I know Whitelabs did growth tests with stirplates and shaking and just a ferment to see what the results were (stirplates were like 3x the growth of just letting the starter sit) >shrugg< I may still use the 3l wine jug - if it fits on my stir plate. That will let me do up to about 2.5l starter.

Quick Reply