New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Very Violent fermentation!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Quarters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Very Violent fermentation!

I pitched my yeast about 3 days ago. I went to check on it last night and I noticed that the lid on my air lock was off and on the ground. I looked a little closer and saw that foam had blown up and all over my primary fermenter. It made quite the mess! I am very new to home brewing and was wondering if this is a rare thing to happen or not???

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It can be normal. Called a blow off. You need to make a blow off tube. Take a piece of siphon tubing. Stick it through the stopper that your airlock currently resides in. Stick the other end into a tub/bottle/etc filled with water.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Yambor44

Recipes 

Look here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/can-blow-off-tube-fit-fermenter-bucket-167585/

Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Hethen57
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I found the same thing when I went to check on my Creme Ale this morning (day 3 also)...it was awesome that I caught it before it blew off....same thing happened a few weeks ago, but I had to find the airlock because it did blow. I think it is pretty common, that is why many use blow off tubes. I changed mine over to a blow off tube and it continued bubbling away. I just took my siphon hose and stuck it into the airlock tube (all sanitized, of course), then put it into a jar of sanitizer. You'll be amazed how much C02 blows through there is you have an active germentation.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Same thing happened to me with a Kolsch style i brewed up in an Ale Pail. I used the 3/8" (i think) tubing from my siphon and shoved that into the hole in the lid. Fit pretty snuggly and definitely solved the blowoff issue for the day. It proceeded to sound like a backed up toilet as it bubbled like crazy for another week.

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Yambor44

Recipes 

I've been lucky enough to only need a blow off tube once. More times than not this happens because the fermentation temps got a little too high.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
I've been lucky enough to only need a blow off tube once. More times than not this happens because the fermentation temps got a little too high.
Some yeasts just love to chug away, too. Trying to get a French Saison yeast or Bavarian Hefe yeast not to cause blowoff is tough unless you resort to fermcap and the like.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply