Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Very Very Off Flavors at One Week...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
crawlspacestudios
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Very Very Off Flavors at One Week...

I know there have been a few threads about this, but I could not find a general consensus on my issue. I have done about 15 AG brews and the first 10 were great. The past 5 batches, I have started to sample after one week, after the primary fermentation has subsided for the most part. I have not bottled or kegged any of these last brews because the taste of the beer was pretty awful. Almost a sour/bready/bandaid flavor

I read bandaid was chlorine but I use a Camden and also artesian water?

I am really frustrated and don't know what is going on with all of this. Will these flavors subside with more time? I guess my big question is, is it normal for a beer to taste very sh**ty after only one week?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Upthewazzu
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You're really judging the flavor of your beer after one week sitting in the primary fermenter? Dude, you need to sit back chill out and relax.

Kegged: Palouse Wheat
Kegged: Cougar Kolsch
Bottled: Stink Bug IPA
Bottled: Permafrost White IPA

Old 07-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
WayFrae
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I think it is normal for beer to taste kind of funny while the yeast are still heavily in suspension. Whenever I clean out the yeast from my blow off container the smell is awful, sour and bready like you describe. Let it clear a bit then taste it again. How do the other 4 batches taste now that they have cleared?

Old 07-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
crawlspacestudios
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Haha sounds good. I was hoping someone would say that. I have never tasted at one week before, but kind of assumed that it would taste like the beer I was making...at least a little bit :/

Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
crawlspacestudios
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFrae View Post
I think it is normal for beer to taste kind of funny while the yeast are still heavily in suspension. Whenever I clean out the yeast from my blow off container the smell is awful, sour and bready like you describe. Let it clear a bit then taste it again. How do the other 4 batches taste now that they have cleared?
They were all wheats that I was fermenting with the Wyeast1056(messing around with different grains). I kegged them after only 12 days and they all held the same off flavors. Would kegging them(and cooling) at that time stop the yeast from cleaning up some of the off flavors?

Old 07-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
WayFrae
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 32

What was your fermentation temp? Too high of temps will cause off flavors.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4622 Times on 3356 Posts
Likes Given: 905

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlspacestudios View Post
............ Will these flavors subside with more time? I guess my big question is, is it normal for a beer to taste very sh**ty after only one week?

Thanks in advance!
The short answer to your question is 'no', it's not normal for a beer to taste ****ty after one week. It shouldn't taste awesome- but it should taste like flat beer that needs some time for the yeast to fall out and for the flavors to meld.

Weird flavors like you describe are generally water related. Can you described your 'artesian water'? It sounds like a high mash pH or something like that causing some problems.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
j1n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 125

what kind of sanitizer do you use?

I highly disagree with Upthewazzu, doesnt matter if its only 1 week. You shouldn't have those off flavors and its not like its normal to have them at the 1 week mark. I dont understand why people think aging the beer will fix everything.

On Tap - Irish Red
Kicked - Amber Ale

Old 07-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
crawlspacestudios
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The short answer to your question is 'no', it's not normal for a beer to taste ****ty after one week. It shouldn't taste awesome- but it should taste like flat beer that needs some time for the yeast to fall out and for the flavors to meld.

Weird flavors like you describe are generally water related. Can you described your 'artesian water'? It sounds like a high mash pH or something like that causing some problems.
I grabbed some Kroger "artesian water", just because I thought that the chlorine from my tap water was causing the problems. I use this stuff called Ph5.2 that I add right into the mash tun before I bring run water in.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
crawlspacestudios
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
what kind of sanitizer do you use?

I highly disagree with Upthewazzu, doesnt matter if its only 1 week. You shouldn't have those off flavors and its not like its normal to have them at the 1 week mark. I dont understand why people think aging the beer will fix everything.
I clean everything with StarSan and PBW. I will clean with PBW after I rinse an old carboy. Then before I put new beer into it, I will let it sit with the StarSan in there while I mash and boil.

Quick Reply