Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Very funky Kolsch ferment - worried about bottle bombs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
OmBoost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Very funky Kolsch ferment - worried about bottle bombs

Hi all,

Story goes like this:
On December 9th I brewed my first attempt at a Kolsch (used Bee Caves excellent recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/bee-cave-brewery-koelsch-33548/)
Hit estimated OG of 1.053 and pitched an appropriate starter of WLP029.
After two weeks I took a reading and it was down to 1.025.
Gave it two more weeks with occasional swirling of carboy and raising of room temperature, but it was still at 1.025, so I decided it was a stuck fermentation (been having problems with an inaccurate thermometer) and it was best to dump it.
But miracoulously, airlock activity started up again after a few days.
My initial thought was that this has to be an infection taking hold in the beer (the airlock activity was pretty rigorous) and that it was best to dump the whole batch.

I kind of forgot about the whole thing, and this weekend I changed my mind and decided to bottle it.
Bottled it yesterday and drew a good sample for tasting and measuring. The FG is 1.000 (measured with a refractometer and calculated via onebeer.net) Uncarbed and warm it gives of a delicious aroma of fruity yeast character (almost like the banananotes in a hefeweizen, just way more delicate) and a balanced hop bitterness.
The body is obviously a bit thin and watery, but will probably turn out ok when its carbed.
I tried really hard, but could not taste any off flavors or other hints of infection.

My concern is this: should I be worried about bottle-bombs as they carbonate due to the possibility of wild yeast?

I store them in my brew cabinet together with a lot of excellent home brew and a nice collection of belgian beer from my recent trips to Belgium, and had some troubles sleeping yesterday in fear of what might happen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I thought that refractometers were only for wort not beer. If that's the case I would be a little concerned not knowing the actual fg or if it was stable. You're probably fine but to be on the safe side you might want to store the bottles in a Rubbermaid bin with a lid.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I'd re-measure using a hydrometer that you've checked in distilled water. Even with the conversions, refractometers aren't too reliable once alcohol is in there.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Jwood
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

1.000 is water, you sure about this?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
OmBoost
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood View Post
1.000 is water, you sure about this?
No, I'm not sure. I measured with my refractometer and used the calculator at onebeer to calculate and got 1.000.
I probably should have used my hydrometer to get an exact reading.

Quick Reply