Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > VA yeast state of emergency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Beerknapper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default VA yeast state of emergency

I'm living in VA and I have 2 batches fermenting a 5 gallon and a 3.5 gallon. Unfortunately with the storm knocking out the power and estimated power restoration being Thursday I'm concerned about my yeast in the 85-90 degree temperature in my house. My 5 gallon batch has been in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks so I think it'll survive, but my 3.5 gallon is a higher OG and has been fermenting for less than a week. When my power is restored and I get my house back to temp is my yeast going to survive and continue to ferment or should I pitch more yeast. I believe my OG was 1.1 and I pitched 2 packs or dry yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Swamp cooler and ice.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

85-90F is perfect temp for yeast, we dont used them at that temp because they produce off flavors at that temp but they would love it and you shouldnt worry about viability, taste of your beer is other problem but with week of fermentation there is not much sugar left so its very possible your beer will be fine as well (no sugar no fermentation no off flavors)

Quick Reply