Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Using Yeast from Previous Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Brewess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Yeast from Previous Batch

I have had great luck using the left over yeast from one batch to make the next. I just bottle and then add the new wort to the carboy without cleaning it out.

Question: Has anyone done this multiple times, using the same yeast at the bottom of the carboy over and over? I have only dared recycle one rotation and have been told that it doesn't work a third time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

oh boy, did you open a can of worms!!!!

It's commonly done (called pitching on the cake) and we've had some boisterous discussions on this practice lately.

I'll find a few links to show you what I mean. Here's one: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why...t-cake-166221/ and of course the "related threads" at the bottom of this page.

I have done it in the past, and it worked well. I followed the practice of lower OG beer to high OG beer, as was recommended at that time. Lately, I've been practicing yeast washing and that seems to give better and more predictable results.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

yeah, pitching on the cake will work, but you might overpitch on a lighter gravity beer. I wash all my yeast and it has worked out great for a couple years now.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
tamoore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've washed yeast from two batches so far, and it's so easy that I've just decided that's the way to go.

Pitching on a cake doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but it might be fine. I have no idea.....

On tap:
ESB
My best IPA
Paddlers Pale Ale

On Deck:
3% Summer Session IPA
SNPA inspired pale ale.

Brewing this week:
Irish Red.

Tags
yeast