New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Using WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast Cake for a slightly smaller beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
mjohnson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Using WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast Cake for a slightly smaller beer

Brewed O'Flannigan's stout from a recipe on the board here (1.043 OG) with WLP004 Irish ale. When I bottle it, I was going to brew the Mild Mannered Ale (1.039)

Originally, I had planned on using US-05 - but I got to thinking about just using the WLP004 cake. I've never re-used yeast before and I've read that you typically want to start with smaller beers and then work your way up - this is going slightly backwards. Does anyone see any problem with this?

I had planned on just taking a sanitized glass measuring cup and getting a good scoop of the yeast and dumping it in the new batch rather than using the entire cake. That is my understanding of the "correct" way. Anyone care to dissent? There shouldn't be much hop matter - the stout only had .6 oz of hops in it (3 gallon batch). I shouldn't need to wash the yeast or anything yet, should I?

Thanks for the input

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

If you don't mind carrying over a little of the stout's flavor and color, you'll be fine.

Use Mr Malty to figure out how many mL of yeast slurry you'll want to carry over. (Use the "repitching from slurry" tab)

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Ah, thanks. I hadn't seen that tab on the calculator before. Thanks for the tip.

I don't think a little stout characteristic would be bad in the mild. It already has a bit of chocolate malt in it.

Quick Reply