Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Using Only A Partial Vial?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
HarryCPhilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Only A Partial Vial?

I am doing some one gallon batches, and was wondering if anyone had ever used like a third of a wyeast vial for a batch. I'm not sure how to measure it, or what to do with the unused portion, which I will be keeping for a month before using again.

I guess I could just use what I need, then toss what's left, and reuse the slurry for the next batch (its an experiment that I will be repeating several times), but I wanted to see if there were any other/better suggestions, or if there was a thread someone could point me to.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I wouldn't re-use the vial after opening it. the risk of contamination would be pretty high. Your idea to use the slurry from the last batch is your best bet.

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

For 1 gallon, I'd pitch the whole vial.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
HarryCPhilly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
For 1 gallon, I'd pitch the whole vial.
I thought about that, but its a hef yeast. Would overpitching do anything to the flavors the yeast throws off since its not under as much stress?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
dragonbreath11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've pitched 1/3 of a vial before for a saison. The fermentation might take a bit longer to begin and have more fruity flavors (esters) but you'll be fine. Why don't you make a .5L starter with the yeast you plan to use then put the rest in the fridge. Just make sure you soak the vial in sanitizer, sanitize your hands, and quickly close the vial after pouring what you need.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Depending how frugal you want to be, you could split off this vial into a few jars: pitch it all in a starter then decant, etc -- pull off what you need [input OG into mrmalty.com] and have more to go for next time.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

I would have brewed 2 or 3 one gallon batches. Or just make a somewhat strong one gallon batch. I made 2 - 1.7 gallon batches and pitched my first liquid yeast vial into them although one of them didnt get as much as the other because it was so foamy and spritzed out of the vial on my hand and all over the vial and i had to be quick to do it because it was so foamy.Make shure you sanitize it and your hands/gloves before opening it very very slowly after shaking it. It should be fine pitching it all in one gallon though.

My question would be why couldnt you pour half of it in the wort then take some preboiled water then pour that into the vial with half of the yeast and close it up and refrigerate maybe wash the lid and swab that and the rim of the vial with alcohol before closing and storing it. Just like how we wash yeast and put it into jars with preboiled cooled water? I mean, we can jar up plain ol slurry into jars and use that up to two weeks generally. so?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
HarryCPhilly
Recipes 

All some great suggestions. So to combine them, it seems I could pour half into the batch, and the other half into a sanitized jar with some sterile water. It would be ok for a month or so in the fridge, right?

That way I could avoid the contamination possibility of just closing the vial, and still only use part of the yeast. Also, i would have about the same pitching rate for the next experiment.

Quick Reply