The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Using lager yeast(at lager temp) on ale recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
BrewZinger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using lager yeast(at lager temp) on ale recipe

Hey everyone!
This is actually my first post (as you can prob tell). Hoping to become an avid brewer! (Florida).

I have a rather large chest freezer with temp controller that I want to brew lagers at. But i also want to brew a few ales, but my house is mainly kept at around 74 degrees (a little high for ales). I realize that using lager yeast is the definition of making a lager. But if I use all the characters of an ale recipe in the makings and substitute the lager yeast and lager fermenting temperature. Would there be much of a difference? I'm thinking with a clean lager yeast and the correct ale attributes (in recipe), there wouldn't be too much of a difference besides longer fermentation. Any tips?

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Can't really speak directly to your question, but if you've got the freezer and a reliable controller, why not set them up for ale temps?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
binkman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also, the difference between and ale and a lager is entirely the fermentation temperature. There isn't necessarily any such thing as an 'ale' recipe or a 'lager' recipe. There are classic ales and lagers, of course. That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about brewing an ale recipe with a lager at lager temperature. It might not be style, but it will still make good beer.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
sagnew440
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That would be a lager. You can use the same grain bill for lets say an amber beer. Use an ale yeast and you got an amber ale. Use a lager yeast and you have an amber lager.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
BrewZinger
Recipes 

Ideally I want to control the chest freezer for lager temperatures. Because..

It would be much easier (if it was possible) to control the chest freezer for lagers and add ale (with lager yeast). So I could do both lagers and ales(lager yeast). If I kept the chest freezer at ale conditions, i would eliminate the possibility of doing a lager (too high of a temperature).

Old 07-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #6
BrewZinger
Recipes 

Ah ok, the difference between amber lager and an amber ale is what I was looking for. With the same recipe/hops/carbonation and the different fermentation/yeast, I am wondering how much of a difference in taste.

But I am assume it would be the same difference when two identically ales use two different ale yeast producing two mildly different results!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkman View Post
Also, the difference between and ale and a lager is entirely the fermentation temperature.
Nonononono. Lager strains produce a much different palate, with what I call a "hole." They are metabolically different; they eat maltotriose and melibiose that ale strains do not. Ale yeast can grow at temperatures up to ~104ºF, lager strains give out around 82ºF, hence the 99ºF differentiation test.

cerevisiae ≠ pastorianus/carlsbergensis

Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play

Nonononono. Lager strains produce a much different palate, with what I call a "hole." They are metabolically different; they eat maltotriose and mellibiose that ale strains do not. Ale yeast can grow at temperatures up to ~104ºF, lager strains give out around 82ºF, hence the 99ºF differentiation test.

cerevisiae ≠ pastorianus/carlsbergensis
Don't overcomplicate it, the OP has not even brewed yet. For his purposes, the grain bill only determines what kind or lager or ale you brew. If you use lager yeast at lager temps, the resulting beer is a lager, even if you used the recipe from a stout.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:11 AM   #9
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewZinger
Ideally I want to control the chest freezer for lager temperatures. Because..

It would be much easier (if it was possible) to control the chest freezer for lagers and add ale (with lager yeast). So I could do both lagers and ales(lager yeast). If I kept the chest freezer at ale conditions, i would eliminate the possibility of doing a lager (too high of a temperature).
I use one chest freezer to brew ales, lagers, and serve 4 kegs. I do one at a time.

If I were you, I would brew a couple ales, and ferment them in your freezer at ale temps (62-68*). You only really need the temp control for the first week, after that you can remove the ales and brew a couple lagers. Let the ales sit a couple week at room temp, then bottle them. You then have 10 gallons of ale to drink while your lagers lager for a couple months.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 AM   #10
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

IMO lager yeast lets/forces the malt and hops to the forefront (depending on how you look at it) compared to ale yeast. I haven't done a ton of recipes, but I've done the same helles lager w/ lager and ale yeast and the results are pretty much night and day different, along with a couple oktoberfest recipes.

you'll still make beer, and it'll probably be good too... but it will be much different from using the ale yeast. apples and oranges.

Quick Reply