Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Using harvested yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
zero_gabe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Using harvested yeast

Im planning on harvesting and washing my yeast from my current brew. My question is once I have my jars of washed yeast, how do I know how much of that yeast to pitch for my next brew? Do i throw it all in or do i have to measure it some how? Any and all input greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
bigmunchez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Check out mrmalty.com under yeast tools. Select the 'repitching from slurry' tab. You can enter the gravity and volume of your planned beer along with the harvest date of your yeast and it will calculate the volume of slurry required. There are other calculators out there too, but I haven't tried them.
As a (very) rough guide, if you're repitching within a couple of days into a similar beer to the one you harvested from you'll need about a quarter of the yeast produced from the first beer.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Mr. Malty says 4.5 billion cells per ml of dense slurry.
I figure 50% = 2.25 billion / ml (if it's been sitting in the fridge awhile), and even round that down to 2, so if I need 100 B cells, I pitch 50 ml of dense slurry.

Keg #1: RHESB 6.2
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Fermenter #1 Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have washed yeast for a couple of years now and I always make a starter. I have pitched slurry directly from one fermentation to the next without washing and used Mr. Malty numbers to measure it out. You can save unwashed slurry in the fridge for about a week if you don't have a fresh batch to pitch right into. If it will be more than a week make a starter to build up one jar of your washed yeast.

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale
jack181 Likes This 
Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
zero_gabe
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys for your replies, i do appreciate it. Sorry for the rookie questions, i really want to make sure i do this right. So is it necessary to wash slurry? When saving yeast, how many times should I let the yeast set and collect before i do my final collection. Also how much liquid shod be in with the yeast compared to the amiunt of yeast?

Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You do not have to wash if you are going to pitch from one batch immediately (or soon) into another. You can scoop from your bucket with a sanitized spoon into a sanitized container (like a small Pyrex measuring cup or a Mason jar) and cover with sanitized foil and keep it in the fridge. If you wash then follow the yeast washing sticky here on HBT. The latest Chop & Brew episode (3?) on you tube (glad to have you back Chip!) actually has a really good video demonstration from a reputable source.

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Quick Reply