Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Used Wyeast Nutrient Blend. Used only about 20x more than I should have.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
loafimus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Used Wyeast Nutrient Blend. Used only about 20x more than I should have.

I goofed. This weekend I attempted my first big brew, a Tripel IPA with a OG of 1.084. I used a 1L starter of 3522 Belgian Ardennes and wanted to make sure I could ferment through and decided on trying Wyeast's nutrient blend.

When reading the instructions on the vial, I misread the usage instructions and thought the 42.5g amount was the usage and missed the 2.2g part. I did think it was a little strange adding the whole vial to a 5 gallon batch, but I did it anyways. Oops. So needless to say, I threw about 20 times more nutrients in my wort that needed. I had read that the 3522 was a violent fermenter, but this was just nuts. It blew the lid off my fermenter within 6 hours and has been going since. I've blown off a little over a gallon so far. It seems like the blowoff has slowed down quite a bit now though.

So besides ending up with like 3 1/2 gallons of beer instead of 5 and witnessing something that resembled the old baking soda volcanoes of grade school, will my beer be okay? I was planning on ageing it a little while and am going to be disheartened if it tastes like garbage after waiting so long. Though I guess there's not much else I can do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would not drink that unless you know it won't kill you. Serious.

Ask them:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/contactus.cfm?website=2

Edit: on second thought I would toss it, and I don't like to waste squat.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
loafimus
Recipes 

Ugh, not the answer I was hoping for. I've emailed wyeast to see what they say. I'll let you know what I find out. I'm pretty bummed about this one.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
boswell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why would he toss it, he added what amounts to a few multivitamins to five gallons of beer. I'm confused.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd imagine that it's probably pretty safe, but worth talking to Wyeast about it.

Also, I'd save every bit of the blowoff and yeast cake that I could. Somehow I'd imagine you'd get a good number of brews off of those, as they'll be in primo condition (thick cell walls, capable of multiple generations in each brew)

Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Curious to see what Wyeast says.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
loafimus
Recipes 

Okay, heard back from Wyeast. Sounds encouraging, may not be a lost batch. What it will taste like is anyone's guess though.

From Wyeast:

"The nutrient diluted at that level should not pose any health risks (I would not drink all 5 gallons in one day though). The yeast is going to use a lot of the nutrients you added, even at the high levels. I would maybe take care to leave behind the yeast as it may actually contain high levels of zinc… though you would need to drink about 4 liters per days to hit the recommended level of a zinc supplement."

Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's pretty funny. All is well.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
TimTrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It should be safe, but there might be a "off taste" to it. Have you smelled that stuff at the 1/2 tsp dilution? It reminds me of ammonia.

Hopefully the yeast used up most of what you added, like wyeast said. Ultimately, they're the authority on this subject.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
loafimus
Recipes 

Figured I'd update this. It's been bottled for quite a while now, chilled on for a couple days and cracked one open. Unfortunately it was a drain pour. It tastes like Flinstone vitamins. Lesson learned. Don't drink so much on brew day that you can't read instructions.

Quick Reply