Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Use Dry Yeast or make Starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
Psych
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 30

That tips and tricks document is really good information, thanks for sharing!

Yeast, so far for me, has been a 'sprinkle on top and hope it works', which so far it has. But if I can make it work better, that's great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #22
Demfer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I always do a starter, I get much faster start and more optimal attenuation.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #23
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priemus View Post
Sorry for the "terrible advise"

But my understanding has always been that the amount of viable yeast in a dry back is MASSIVE compared to the amount available in a smackpack.
There are roughly 220 million cells, 86% of which are viable at packaging (on average) for dry yeast compared to 100 million cells with 99% viable at packaging. If you sprinkle on top, you are pitching roughly the equivalent of a tube of liquid yeast.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #24
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topend View Post
No. Rehydrating does not increase the number of yeast cells, it just lets the dehydrated cells take in water and "regain their composure" (for lack of a better term) so when they hit the wort they are rehydrated and ready to work their magic.

A starter actually grows more yeast cells. Liquid yeast vials/packets contain much fewer cells than a dry packet, and you therefore need to put that liquid yeast through a full growth and reproduction cycle so you can have an adequate number of viable cells at pitch time. This is especially true with high gravity beers. The starter wort allows the provided liquid yeast an opportunity to go through the growth and reproduction cycle in a short period of time, increasing the cell count significantly saving the cost of purchasing multiple vials/packs of liquid yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk
Thank you, I didn't realize that. I'll have to look into rehydrating my yeast from now on.

Quick Reply