Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Use Dry Yeast or make Starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
beitzjr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Use Dry Yeast or make Starter?

Hey everyone,

My next batch should be at about 1.061 OG. I was curious if you think I should a packet of dry yeast Safale US-05 American Ale Yeast would be powerful enough or should I try my hand at making a starter.

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My Og's are always around that level. I just sprinkle the yeast on the cooled wort. should be fine.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
topend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Starter would not be advisable with dry yeast. At your stated OG, SA-05 should be okay. You can double check this by entering your values at mrmalty.com. Many rehydrate this yeast for 30 mins in warm water (90 deg or so) prior to pitching to let the yeast cell walls strengthen before being introduced to the fermentables.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
MotleyBrue
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just made a Black IPA on friday and had the same OG.. Sprinkled S-05 in a nice even layer on top of the chilled (68*) wort in the bucket.. waited 30 min then stirred in. 14 hours later and she was cookin! still bubbling about 1 bubble every 5 seconds this AM. JJ

Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just brewed an IIPA with an OG of 1.100, US-05 brought it down to 1.025 with no issues. It was also all extract, which I'm sure caused it to finish higher. US-05 is a BEAST!

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
beitzjr
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses. So do you all think I need 1 or 2 packets (11.5g) to do the trick?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priemus View Post
My Og's are always around that level. I just sprinkle the yeast on the cooled wort. should be fine.
This is terrible advice.

Always pitch a proper amount. Yeast make beer, not you. Treat them well. How many grams of dry yeast does Mr Malty tell you to pitch? That's how much you should pitch. Remember, you don't have to work in whole numbers... you can pitch 1.3 packets. Keep the rest for some other application, or throw it away - dry yeast is practically free!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:34 AM   #8
redm18
Recipes 

Quote:
This is terrible advice.

Always pitch a proper amount. Yeast make beer, not you. Treat them well. How many grams of dry yeast does Mr Malty tell you to pitch? That's how much you should pitch. Remember, you don't have to work in whole numbers... you can pitch 1.3 packets. Keep the rest for some other application, or throw it away - dry yeast is practically free!
Practically free is a bit of a stretch cheap yes but far from free could be up to four bucks which is more than the cost of a six pack of homebrew. Mr Malty calculates his brew to require 1.1 packets of yeast. So if he pitches one packet he's less than 10% under optimal pitch. If his beer doesn't turn out great I hardly think this will be the problem. A lot of the most popular recipes in the database give the exact same advice sprinkle one packet of dry yeast.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

One pack of 05 is more than enough. Mr Malty is a valuable tool, not to be followed exactly as it would be impossible for it to be anything but a guideline.

Re-hydrating your dried yeast will give you a better result according to the manufacturers. I've done it both ways and have no real way to know if its the truth, but the explanation on Danstar's website makes sense about re-hydration.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

I really can't believe people still debate rehydration.

If there's something I can do to make better beer, I'll always do it. Like decanting starter wort before pitching - it's such a small thing and I'd bet that in most cases it doesn't negatively affect the wort. But sometimes it might, and for that reason I never pitch it.

It's the brewer's curse and good fortune that it's easy to make beer. A curse because it reinforces bad technique when it works.

Quick Reply