New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > US-05 how long to finish? Concerns about attenuation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm thinking less along the lines of harvesting from the used and just setting aside some of the starter.
That's not a bad idea at all.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #22
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I tend to brew in clusters. Makes yeast re-use easy, just pitch on the cake. Sometimes, I'll split a cake and do multiple batches.

OP - I'm certain one can get much more uniform fermentations by being obsessive, but 1 week, 4 weeks? Doesn't matter to me, the batch sits for 4-5 weeks regardless.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I am doing Centennial Blond and just used the 05 for the first time. Low end of the ferment temp scale. 9 days in it is still cloudy and I'm picking up aromas from the air lock so I figure it must still be venting. After the krausen fell I saw bubbles and slime that look like a lot I've seen in many a "is my beer infected" threads. I figured it would have to have been a MASSIVE infection to take hold that soon after high krausen. Still some bubbles on top but they are less and less day. It has been very slow, but I'm in no hurry.

As I am apt to say on the telescope making list. Patience is NOT a virtue. It is a tool.
Yes, 05 will give you a slimy grungy looking oil slick on top of your krausen that can last for a long time. It is not infection. I was freaked out by my krausen on my first Us-05 ferment also

PS I didnt get the telescope making thing, maybe someone else did... I tend to miss jokes more often than most Its not my brain cell count I swear

Old 01-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #24
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Yes, 05 will give you a slimy grungy looking oil slick on top of your krausen that can last for a long time. It is not infection. I was freaked out by my krausen on my first Us-05 ferment also

PS I didnt get the telescope making thing, maybe someone else did... I tend to miss jokes more often than most Its not my brain cell count I swear
Thanks for the info. I tend to be obsessive but I've mellowed. I do not consider patience a virtue. I consider patience to be just another tool to use in completing a goal. Example from my college psych class:

You can teach a monkey to open a lock box that contains a banana. If you don't feed the monkey for several days and give him the lock box, he will throw it around, smack on it, pry on it, do everything but use the combination to open the lock box. Now, feed the monkey and give him back the lock box. The monkey can now open the lock box. Turns out he didn't forget the combination, he just got flustered when he was hungry and kept trying things over and over that didn't work even though he still KNEW what he had to do. I don't want to tell you how many times I've found myself in a situation and realized I was that monkey.

Anyhow, this sounds like the perfect time to use banana man.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:47 AM   #25
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I tend to be obsessive but I've mellowed. I do not consider patience a virtue. I consider patience to be just another tool to use in completing a goal. Example from my college psych class:

You can teach a monkey to open a lock box that contains a banana. If you don't feed the monkey for several days and give him the lock box, he will throw it around, smack on it, pry on it, do everything but use the combination to open the lock box. Now, feed the monkey and give him back the lock box. The monkey can now open the lock box. Turns out he didn't forget the combination, he just got flustered when he was hungry and kept trying things over and over that didn't work even though he still KNEW what he had to do. I don't want to tell you how many times I've found myself in a situation and realized I was that monkey.

Anyhow, this sounds like the perfect time to use banana man.
Lol! Well, I actually got really obsessive when I got my own place, car, etc... felt I had too much to 'Look After'... but I have mellowed close to where I was when I was a teenager (my nickname used to be Shaggy-J, so you get where I am going with that).

Obsessive is a good thing I think as long as you can limit your stress... if it starts to stress you then you got a problem and you need to start pacing yourself... at least, for me anyway.

Good on ya, sounds like it will be a good beer!

Old 01-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #26
permo
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

The recipe is very interesting. I am shooting for something like a cross between windmer brrr and summit horizon red ale. I think it is going to be a nice brew.. I have never used summit hops before. I have a pound so I figured I better get rolling and get them used up.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #27
permo
Recipes 

January 4th 1.030, January 7th 1.025. It looks like it is taking the gravity down slowly but surely. There is a small layer of foam, almost like beer head on top the beer right now. With pretty nice airlock activity. It doesn't seem like a traditional full krausen, but there is definetly a layer of suds on the top. Never seen that before. It looks like this beer is going to take a while. Very wierd, I pitched an active starter and have been 68-70 degrees the entire time.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #28
ntempleton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Definitely seems slow. Every time I've used that yeast it's finished in <10 days. Even for big beers.

--
Nic Templeton - Seattle WA

Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #29
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntempleton View Post
Definitely seems slow. Every time I've used that yeast it's finished in <10 days. Even for big beers.
I know, it's been 9 days and I am at 1.025. I am a little concerned that i am going to end up with underattenuated beer. Not sure what to do at this point other than wait. 1.020 Amber IPA Hybrid doesn't sound so tasty to me. 1.012-1.015...now we would be cookin.

I have a nice big slurry of recently washed nottingham, I am considering adding this soon to get things going. 9 days is quite a while to drop less than 4 points with 05 at 68-70 degrees, even if I underpitched.

Last edited by permo; 01-07-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #30
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I know, it's been 9 days and I am at 1.025. I am a little concerned that i am going to end up with underattenuated beer. Not sure what to do at this point other than wait. 1.020 Amber IPA Hybrid doesn't sound so tasty to me. 1.012-1.015...now we would be cookin.

I have a nice big slurry of recently washed nottingham, I am considering adding this soon to get things going. 9 days is quite a while to drop less than 4 points with 05 at 68-70 degrees, even if I underpitched.
Personally I have never had an issue with that yeast, but since its not finished you will probably not know if its done or if the yeast died for whatever reason (a common reason is just not a very viable batch which can happen with dry yeasts occasionally). Wait until day 20, then test it. If its not done, there is a great post somewhere here on stuck fermentation.From what I remember, its actually better to wake up the yeast that's already in there than to try re-pitching.

Quick Reply