Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > US-05 how long to finish? Concerns about attenuation

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Default US-05 how long to finish? Concerns about attenuation

Here is a beer that I brewed up on the 30th of December, about 5 days ago. 6.5 gallon batch mashed at 151 pitched 3rd generation US-05 washed yeast starter, active fermentation in 4 hours. I pitched at 73 degrees and have held the fermentation temp of the ferementer at 68 for the last five days. There is still active fermentation going on and the krausen sure has not fell yet, but I was expecting to be nearing FG after 5 days. Well, not even close. 1.030 after five days after pitching a 1 liter active starter. Oddly enough this same exact yeast was washed from an oatmeal stout that went from 1.065 down to 1.014 after 7 days. I was expecting 1.012 out of this beer..especially with the low mash temp.

The way I see it I have a few options:

1. leave things as they are and hope that over the next week or two it ferements out

2. increase the temperature a few degrees and get things going.

3. throw an actively fermenting nottingham starter in there to eat up the fermentables.



OK beer experts...what to do with this one..........




13.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.25 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
1.00 lb Red Wheat (3.3 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.64 %
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
1.00 oz Summit [18.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 25.4 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (15 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.6 IBU

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Bitterness: 73.1 IBU
Est Color: 15.1 SRM

looks tasty doesn't it? mmmmmm....marris otter.

__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,117
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

well, if it's still actively fermenting, let it finish what it's doing before you worry.

__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller
android is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
r2eng's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Eagle, Idaho, Idaho
Posts: 1,461
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Leave it go. S-05 has always finished dry for me.

I always leave things go for at least 2 weeks, or until the beer clears significantly.

__________________
Engineer, Animator, Brewer.
r2eng is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
findthefish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 484
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

If it took a 1.065 OG stout 7 days to finish to 1.014, why should it only take 5 days for a 1.063 OG beer to reach 1.012? And if it is actively fermenting, with high krausen, why would you need to "get things going"?

RDWHAHB!!!!

Also (sorry I couldn't let this go) how expensive is US-05 where you live that you go through the trouble to reuse it so much?

__________________

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

findthefish is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
lehr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: flushing michigan
Posts: 805
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Default

You should not make a starter with dry yeast just bloom it in boiled water that has been brought down to room temp or just sprinkle it on your wort.

Pat

__________________
lehr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
You should not make a starter with dry yeast just bloom it in boiled water that has been brought down to room temp or just sprinkle it on your wort.

Pat
I made a starter because I used some washed yeast.

"Also (sorry I couldn't let this go) how expensive is US-05 where you live that you go through the trouble to reuse it so much?"

The problem isn't the expense but the availability. My supply store isn't that reliable for yeast or hops. Also, I really like using washed yeast with a starter, lag times are reduced and pitching rates are increased.
__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,305
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthefish View Post
If it took a 1.065 OG stout 7 days to finish to 1.014, why should it only take 5 days for a 1.063 OG beer to reach 1.012? And if it is actively fermenting, with high krausen, why would you need to "get things going"?

RDWHAHB!!!!

Also (sorry I couldn't let this go) how expensive is US-05 where you live that you go through the trouble to reuse it so much?
Reusing yeast is a good practice, no matter the cost.
__________________
http://chugsd.com
carnevoodoo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pompeiisneaks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 897
Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I would think that potentially your viable cell count is low, thus the delayed fermentation. Its working just has a lot less yeast than it needs to get the job done. the dryed yeasts have always performed rapidly for me dumping them out of a pouch w/o even rehydrating. I've only heard of people washing/reusing the liquid yeasts due to price, but lately due to the rising prices of dry yeasts, I can understand reusing, I'm guessing maybe you're just not getting enough valid yeast into the starters.

__________________
~Phil
Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!
pompeiisneaks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeiisneaks View Post
I would think that potentially your viable cell count is low, thus the delayed fermentation. Its working just has a lot less yeast than it needs to get the job done. the dryed yeasts have always performed rapidly for me dumping them out of a pouch w/o even rehydrating. I've only heard of people washing/reusing the liquid yeasts due to price, but lately due to the rising prices of dry yeasts, I can understand reusing, I'm guessing maybe you're just not getting enough valid yeast into the starters.
That could very well be the case. I have made a recent efford to use larger jars to create larger washed yeast samples for my starters. I like a good 3/4 inch of yeast on the bottom of a pickle jar. That is a lot of yeast.
__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
jjones17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Posts: 617
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Here is a beer that I brewed up on the 30th of December, about 5 days ago. 6.5 gallon batch mashed at 151 pitched 3rd generation US-05 washed yeast starter, active fermentation in 4 hours. I pitched at 73 degrees and have held the fermentation temp of the ferementer at 68 for the last five days. There is still active fermentation going on and the krausen sure has not fell yet, but I was expecting to be nearing FG after 5 days. Well, not even close. 1.030 after five days after pitching a 1 liter active starter. Oddly enough this same exact yeast was washed from an oatmeal stout that went from 1.065 down to 1.014 after 7 days. I was expecting 1.012 out of this beer..especially with the low mash temp.

The way I see it I have a few options:

1. leave things as they are and hope that over the next week or two it ferements out

2. increase the temperature a few degrees and get things going.

3. throw an actively fermenting nottingham starter in there to eat up the fermentables.



OK beer experts...what to do with this one..........




13.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.25 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
1.00 lb Red Wheat (3.3 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.64 %
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
1.00 oz Summit [18.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 25.4 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (15 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.6 IBU

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Bitterness: 73.1 IBU
Est Color: 15.1 SRM

looks tasty doesn't it? mmmmmm....marris otter.
If I may offer some advise that was given to me which has reduced my brewing stresses considerably.

Do not test your gravity before your beer looks ready to bottle. This may seem completely wrong to you, but it will accomplish some of the following:

1) You will not have to sanitise your wine thief
2) There will beLess risk of oxygen near your beer you are not opening your carboy
3) less work for you
4) Your anxiety level will reduce, and you will just relax more and let your ferment complete on its own.
5) If you are like me, I am certain my hairline has been receding at half the rate as it was when I tested my beer often.

Seriously, unless you are racking to a secondary for a lager, or you are trying to rush your ferment why bother even testing until your beer looks ready to bottle/keg. Just putting it out there!
__________________
jjones17 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get a long, sweet finish in beer? nigel31 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-03-2010 02:34 PM
How can you wait so long for mead to finish? triangulum33 Mead Forum 12 11-10-2009 02:11 PM
Barley wine - how long to finish after opening? tincob General Beer Discussion 4 10-21-2009 01:25 PM
Attenuation Concerns TheJadedDog General Techniques 5 09-13-2007 04:24 PM
New Guy Concerns TallyBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 07-31-2007 02:27 AM