Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Fermentation & Yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/)
-   -   US-05 how long to finish? Concerns about attenuation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/us-05-how-long-finish-concerns-about-attenuation-155196/)

permo 01-05-2010 02:59 AM

US-05 how long to finish? Concerns about attenuation
 
Here is a beer that I brewed up on the 30th of December, about 5 days ago. 6.5 gallon batch mashed at 151 pitched 3rd generation US-05 washed yeast starter, active fermentation in 4 hours. I pitched at 73 degrees and have held the fermentation temp of the ferementer at 68 for the last five days. There is still active fermentation going on and the krausen sure has not fell yet, but I was expecting to be nearing FG after 5 days. Well, not even close. 1.030 after five days after pitching a 1 liter active starter. Oddly enough this same exact yeast was washed from an oatmeal stout that went from 1.065 down to 1.014 after 7 days. I was expecting 1.012 out of this beer..especially with the low mash temp.

The way I see it I have a few options:

1. leave things as they are and hope that over the next week or two it ferements out

2. increase the temperature a few degrees and get things going.

3. throw an actively fermenting nottingham starter in there to eat up the fermentables.



OK beer experts...what to do with this one..........




13.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.25 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
1.00 lb Red Wheat (3.3 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.64 %
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
1.00 oz Summit [18.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 25.4 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (15 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.6 IBU

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Bitterness: 73.1 IBU
Est Color: 15.1 SRM

looks tasty doesn't it? mmmmmm....marris otter.

android 01-05-2010 03:32 AM

well, if it's still actively fermenting, let it finish what it's doing before you worry.

r2eng 01-05-2010 04:35 AM

Leave it go. S-05 has always finished dry for me.

I always leave things go for at least 2 weeks, or until the beer clears significantly.

findthefish 01-05-2010 04:46 AM

If it took a 1.065 OG stout 7 days to finish to 1.014, why should it only take 5 days for a 1.063 OG beer to reach 1.012? And if it is actively fermenting, with high krausen, why would you need to "get things going"?

RDWHAHB!!!!

Also (sorry I couldn't let this go) how expensive is US-05 where you live that you go through the trouble to reuse it so much?

lehr 01-05-2010 10:57 AM

You should not make a starter with dry yeast just bloom it in boiled water that has been brought down to room temp or just sprinkle it on your wort.

Pat

permo 01-05-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lehr (Post 1785789)
You should not make a starter with dry yeast just bloom it in boiled water that has been brought down to room temp or just sprinkle it on your wort.

Pat

I made a starter because I used some washed yeast.

"Also (sorry I couldn't let this go) how expensive is US-05 where you live that you go through the trouble to reuse it so much?"

The problem isn't the expense but the availability. My supply store isn't that reliable for yeast or hops. Also, I really like using washed yeast with a starter, lag times are reduced and pitching rates are increased.

carnevoodoo 01-05-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by findthefish (Post 1785576)
If it took a 1.065 OG stout 7 days to finish to 1.014, why should it only take 5 days for a 1.063 OG beer to reach 1.012? And if it is actively fermenting, with high krausen, why would you need to "get things going"?

RDWHAHB!!!!

Also (sorry I couldn't let this go) how expensive is US-05 where you live that you go through the trouble to reuse it so much?

Reusing yeast is a good practice, no matter the cost.

pompeiisneaks 01-05-2010 08:48 PM

I would think that potentially your viable cell count is low, thus the delayed fermentation. Its working just has a lot less yeast than it needs to get the job done. the dryed yeasts have always performed rapidly for me dumping them out of a pouch w/o even rehydrating. I've only heard of people washing/reusing the liquid yeasts due to price, but lately due to the rising prices of dry yeasts, I can understand reusing, I'm guessing maybe you're just not getting enough valid yeast into the starters.

permo 01-05-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompeiisneaks (Post 1787171)
I would think that potentially your viable cell count is low, thus the delayed fermentation. Its working just has a lot less yeast than it needs to get the job done. the dryed yeasts have always performed rapidly for me dumping them out of a pouch w/o even rehydrating. I've only heard of people washing/reusing the liquid yeasts due to price, but lately due to the rising prices of dry yeasts, I can understand reusing, I'm guessing maybe you're just not getting enough valid yeast into the starters.

That could very well be the case. I have made a recent efford to use larger jars to create larger washed yeast samples for my starters. I like a good 3/4 inch of yeast on the bottom of a pickle jar. That is a lot of yeast.

jjones17 01-06-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by permo (Post 1785369)
Here is a beer that I brewed up on the 30th of December, about 5 days ago. 6.5 gallon batch mashed at 151 pitched 3rd generation US-05 washed yeast starter, active fermentation in 4 hours. I pitched at 73 degrees and have held the fermentation temp of the ferementer at 68 for the last five days. There is still active fermentation going on and the krausen sure has not fell yet, but I was expecting to be nearing FG after 5 days. Well, not even close. 1.030 after five days after pitching a 1 liter active starter. Oddly enough this same exact yeast was washed from an oatmeal stout that went from 1.065 down to 1.014 after 7 days. I was expecting 1.012 out of this beer..especially with the low mash temp.

The way I see it I have a few options:

1. leave things as they are and hope that over the next week or two it ferements out

2. increase the temperature a few degrees and get things going.

3. throw an actively fermenting nottingham starter in there to eat up the fermentables.



OK beer experts...what to do with this one..........




13.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.25 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
1.00 lb Red Wheat (3.3 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.64 %
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
1.00 oz Summit [18.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 25.4 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (15 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.6 IBU

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Bitterness: 73.1 IBU
Est Color: 15.1 SRM

looks tasty doesn't it? mmmmmm....marris otter.

If I may offer some advise that was given to me which has reduced my brewing stresses considerably.

Do not test your gravity before your beer looks ready to bottle. This may seem completely wrong to you, but it will accomplish some of the following:

1) You will not have to sanitise your wine thief
2) There will beLess risk of oxygen near your beer you are not opening your carboy
3) less work for you
4) Your anxiety level will reduce, and you will just relax more and let your ferment complete on its own.
5) If you are like me, I am certain my hairline has been receding at half the rate as it was when I tested my beer often.

Seriously, unless you are racking to a secondary for a lager, or you are trying to rush your ferment why bother even testing until your beer looks ready to bottle/keg. Just putting it out there! :mug:


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.