Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > US-05 is amazing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default US-05 is amazing

A friend of mine is looking to maybe get into brewing and wanted to give it a go. I basically told him that we’d split the cost of ingredients and then each take half of the haul, once bottled. I put together an IPA recipe that was slated to come out at 1.069 OG. So we brew this beer and I use just one packet of US-05, sprinkled directly into the wort. I have rehydrated this yeast as well as used it as-is and have had great results both ways. For this brew I did not rehydrate. I didn’t take a preboil OG this time around either…I should have, but I didn’t. So at the end of the boil I take the OG and it’s 1.080! 86% efficiency. My equipment is just a Cooler MLT with a manifold and a regular 10 gallon brew pot. No false bottoms or anything.
So anyway, I sprinkled this one packet of US-05 in and let it sit in the primary for nearly 4 weeks, then onto the secondary for dry hopping. I took my OG and it was 1.010, so this bad boy ended up at 9.2% and US-05 handled it with NO problem whatsoever. The flavor is outstanding. This beer was hopped to hell and back, so the surprise I got in efficiency still yielded a tasty beer with a prevalent hop profile. The moral of the story is that US-05 is a beast!

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 138

My go to yeast now, I'm done with Notty.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

US-05 is probably my favorite yeast. I use it on A LOT of the beers I brew, and it's never failed me.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I love '05 but you have to keep temps in check as with any yeast. I found it gives more flavor than say 001 when the temps get into the high 60's.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used to use Notty as well, but I'm all about the US-05 now. As for the temps, it's pretty great with that 59-70 (might even be 75) range. I ferment in my bar in the basement, and it stays around 63 down there year round.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Quick Reply