Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Urgent question/ advice for a new guy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
mr_rogers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Urgent question/ advice for a new guy

I've been planning for a week now to make two batches of brew simultaneously. one batch will be a hef and the other batch will be apfelwein. I really wanted to use the same yeast strain wlp300 and pitch it into both.

Because of work and school restricting my time i wont have a free afternoon for about ten days other than tomorrow. I made the quick decision to make tomorrow a brew day and I got my single vial of yeast into a starter for the night.

Now I was planning on growing this vial so that i can pitch it into both of these batches but i don't think i'll have large enough yeast numbers to actually accomplish this task (pitching into 2- 5gallon batches).The starter that I made was 1/2 cup dme to 2 cups water.

I just really wanted to get the hef started tomorrow since it only takes a few weeks anyways.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Icenine61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

There are no question marks in your post.

Primary- White House Honey Ale
Primary- Honey Kolsch
Primary- JOAM Mead
Bottled- Brickwarmer Holiday Red

Brewcrew02 Likes This 
Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
tflew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

just brew the hef tomorrow? The apfelwein doesn't require any brewing its just pouring ingredients into a carboy?

Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 393

If you're going to use liquid yeast then you need to be certain that you're pitching a healthy volume of yeast for each beer. This is a great resource for pitching:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

IMO - I would use the one vial in a starter for one of the beers and pickup a packet of dry yeast for the other, probably the Apfelwein, if you're insisting on doing both batches on the same day.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
mr_rogers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry, The question was will the one vial of yeast grow enough over night so that i could pitch it into two batches (one of beer one of apfelwein)?

I was thinking i would need to step up the starter to accomplish this so i was asking if that is in fact the case.

I know i should use mr malty but it is very confusing to me for some reason. i guess i just need to look at it more.

Edit:
Mrmalty says that i need a one liter starter so i guess i need to step up at least once before i can pitch is that right? since my first starter was 2 cups. i would need around 4 to make a liter.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rogers View Post
Sorry, The question was will the one vial of yeast grow enough over night so that i could pitch it into two batches (one of beer one of apfelwein)?
no; it probably would not be enough for even one of the two (unless the beer batch is an low OG recipe).

In the first hours of a starter the yeast are in the lag stage of growth. There is little growth going on in those first hours. I would expect very little increase in yeast cell number in that time period.

The best solution (in my opinion) is to hustle over to a LHBS and buy yourself multiple packets of dry yeast, if you want to brew today/tonight.

Last edited by broadbill; 03-04-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: to add

Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
mr_rogers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well I made the hef, the yeast starter had a full twenty four hours of growth time before i pitched it last night. I don't know if there was as much yeast as I "should" have but there was only about 2 hours in lag time and it's bubbling about 5 times a second right now (12hours after).

I decided that I would use a bottle of harvested yeast from this batch for the apple cider next week.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 393

24 hours should be enough for a beer like a Hefeweizen. My personal preference is to give my starters 48 hours, but it sounds like your fermentation started off great. Good luck with the cider!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

For the apfelwein, I would advise, like others above, that dropping a few dollars on a packet (or two, depending on the gravity) of dry yeast would be the wisest course. I think it would help to get a few brews under your belt before washing, just to be sure that your sanitation is up to snuff. If you get through a few without infections, then you can trust that you're not endangering your next batch.

I'd also be hesitant to use washed beer yeast in a cider/apfelwein, just to avoid hops carryover, though I suppose your hefeweizen is probably not heavily hopped.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
For the apfelwein, I would advise, like others above, that dropping a few dollars on a packet (or two, depending on the gravity) of dry yeast would be the wisest course. I think it would help to get a few brews under your belt before washing, just to be sure that your sanitation is up to snuff. If you get through a few without infections, then you can trust that you're not endangering your next batch.

I'd also be hesitant to use washed beer yeast in a cider/apfelwein, just to avoid hops carryover, though I suppose your hefeweizen is probably not heavily hopped.
+1 to this....lets not kid ourselves: apfelwein is basically apple juice hootch. No need to go overboard on the yeast selection. Dry yeast will get you there in fine shape.

Quick Reply