Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Underpitching a Hefeweizen and Saving Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i would pitch the whole pack and get your ferm temps in the higher end of what the yeast is rated for. Warmer temps with a hefe yeast give you more banana, cooler brings out the clove. This is what i do with mine and i get the banana to come through well.

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
I believe .75 million per milliliter per degree plato is too much for a good weiss bier. My last was pitched at about 3 million per milliliter and turned out great. That is less than a healthy smack pack into five gallon. I used a starter for two beers, a hefe pitched at 9 million/ml and a dunkel at 3 million/ml. The dunkel is much better. The hefe is all clove but the dunkel has nice banana too. I would just use a single pack.
Malticulous--Just making sure I understand you. Did you mean to suggest I pitch at 0.3 million/ml for my Hefe? The suggestion of 0.75 million / ml is less than the 3 million/ml of your original text. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #13
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
From MrMalty.com:

Here is the simple math to calculate the number of cells needed. For an ale, you want to pitch around 0.75 million cells of viable yeast, for every milliliter of wort, for every degree plato.
So now my confusion comes from reading Palmer's "How to Brew" print version (c) 2006.

Page 63 says to pitch
  • 1 billion cells / liter / 1 degree Plato (roughly agreeing with Mr. Malty)
  • 0.95 billion cells / gallon / 1 point (1.001) of gravity
That would give
  • 261 points for 5 gallons at 1.055
  • 228 points for 5 gallons at 1.048

The contradiction is that on Page 68 in Table 8, he gives the recommended pitching rate for ale yeast as 50-110 billion cells per 5 gallons at <1.055 gravity.

That means that Palmer's table gives a rate at 1/5 to 1/2 of what his formula does. Huh?

Old 03-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #14
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

That dives into too much math for me.

Use Mr. Malty for your calculation. You can pitch half of the recommended rate to stress them for some banana flavor (which I've done sucessfully) or pitch at a warmer temp like bucfanmike suggested. Either way will work. I've not used WY3068, just WLP300 for this purpose. For 3068 try just tossing in the whole smack pack and fermenting warm. Should work fine.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #15
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2080
That dives into too much math for me.

Use Mr. Malty for your calculation. You can pitch half of the recommended rate to stress them for some banana flavor (which I've done sucessfully) or pitch at a warmer temp like bucfanmike suggested. Either way will work. I've not used WY3068, just WLP300 for this purpose. For 3068 try just tossing in the whole smack pack and fermenting warm. Should work fine.
Same strain - agree, just toss the smack pack contents in and let it go. I personally always seem to get bubble gum from this strain (fermenting around 65-68 ). I need to try it upstairs or something to get that banana flavor that SWMBO loves ;-)
Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
heckler73
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

watch this video. he talks specifically about your question.

I pitched a 3068 smackpack into a 1.050 OG, 68F wheat wort and it came out with wonderful banana flavours. Now I'm growing a starter from the reused yeast and will see if the cloves come out with a higher pitch rate, although the Wyeast guy says I should have used a 2 L starter instead of a 1 L starter. We'll see...

Quick Reply