Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Underpitching Dunkelweizen w/ WLP300

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Holy_Hops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Underpitching Dunkelweizen w/ WLP300

I'm brewing my first Dunkelweizen this Friday and am debating whether or not to make a starter.

I want to go for banana more than clove, and I've heard in various places that under-pitching & stressing hefe. yeast creates more of those banana esters.

Would pitching a single WLP300 vial into the batch get me what I'm looking for or is that under-pitching overkill?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy_Hops
I'm brewing my first Dunkelweizen this Friday and am debating whether or not to make a starter.

I want to go for banana more than clove, and I've heard in various places that under-pitching & stressing hefe. yeast creates more of those banana esters.

Would pitching a single WLP300 vial into the batch get me what I'm looking for or is that under-pitching overkill?

Thanks in advance.
Www.yeastcalc.com
Plug in the numbers at this site and go slightly less than the full pitch rate and you should be fine. Also ferment towards the higher range of the strain and you'll get your bananas

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply