Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Underpitched. Is it too late to add more?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
VanHolton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Underpitched. Is it too late to add more?

About 15 hours ago, I pitched one vial of White Labs WLP099 super high gravity yeast into 5 gallons of 1.093 wort. I didn't have time to make a starter as this was a re-pitch. I have some time today to go get another vial, but is it worth it? When are most of the esters created that are caused by underpitching? Is it as the yeast reproduce? Do I have time to ward off any of that with another vial? Would it be worth my while?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

According the The Complete Joy of Homebrewing the esters are produced during yeast respiration within the first 6-8 hours. The yeast reproduce and produce carbon dioxide and flavor characteristics of esters and diacetyl. After this cycle is fermentation when alcohol is produced. I don't know what to do about your situation because I've never made a beer with such a high gravity.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
VanHolton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I've never brewed anything this big either. It's an imperial stout and it's starting to krausen now, so maybe I'll just leave it. If it gets stuck or something, maybe then I'll start to think about more yeast...

Old 09-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It doesn't sound like your underpitched if you are getting a krausen. relax, don't worry, post a cliche'...drink something.

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

Quick Reply