Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The Ultimate Fermentation Controller for $140?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
blackcows
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default The Ultimate Fermentation Controller for $140?

I have more hobbies than I care to admit, two of my favorite are brewing beer and my reef tank (saltwater aquarium). In the past few years one of the trends in the reef hobby has been aquarium controllers. Recently I purchased and received my first controller, an Apex Jr which cost about $140. There are more advanced systems that go up to about $500 but this fits my needs. My controller has 4 outlets along with a processor and web server which allows me to control lights, heater, and pumps. It also includes a temperature probe. Here is a picture:

http://bostonreef.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/neptune_apex_jr.jpg

I am able to control and view stats on my reef tank via any computer with a web browser and there are also apps for iOS and Android. The outlets are each highly programable for instance you can set the heater to operate or not operate based on the temperature of the water taken by the temperature probe. The unit also keeps a record of temperature and can show it in a graph form. From the dashboard or apps you can instantly see the status of any outlet and also control it. Here is a picture of the dashboard, as you can see you can also add a feed from an ip camera:

http://reefbuilders.com/files/2012/10/apex-ready-dashboard.jpeg

So as I am driving today and excited about my new reef tank controller I begin to wonder if it wouldn't be the ultimate fermentation temperature controller? A Ranco two stage temperature controller cost $140...same price as the Apex Jr. but I think the Apex Jr would offer so much more.

1. The Apex Jr has 4 outlets so it could control two fermentation chambers...two coolers and two heaters. No different than what the majority of us do with our temperature controllers now. Plug the freezer in one outlet and in my case a small heater in the other.

2. The Apex Jr comes with a temperature probe that is submersible in saltwater so I would assume the same would be true for the wort. No more worrying about taping the probe to the side of your fermenter or buying a thermowell just drop it in the fermenting wort.

3. The Apex Jr is HIGHLY configurable...I have only had mine a day so I have a lot to learn but you can set up emails alarms...maybe an alarm if you temperature gets over 80 degrees or something similar. Maybe you are out of town and you want to move your temperature down 2 degrees...you can do that from your phone. How about an IP camera in your fermentation chamber so you can see it from work? If it's dark you could use on of the 4 outlets on the controller to turn a bulb on and off from anywhere you are.

I think for the same price as we are now paying for ranco this offers much more. Another think that interests me that I need to learn more about is an expansion module for the system that checks salinity which is measured in specific gravity although the module reports a conductivity value which would need to be converted...here is the module:

http://www.neptunesystems.com/product/salinity-module-pm2/

Not sure if it would work for beer but how cool would it be to monitor SG from your comptuer? I am going to post on the Neptune forum to get a little input as to how the temperature probe would fair in wort but I may just buy a second one of these and give it a try with my beer.

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
dannyhawkins
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Subscribing

This is great!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Leeegiiittttt!

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm listening.

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default Real Cool!

[QUOTE how cool would it be to monitor SG from your comptuer? Mike[/QUOTE]

Real Cool! I'm all ears.
Jhoss

Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I was going to come in here and denounce your controller for being subpar to the STC-1000 Ebay Temp/Aquarium Controller but you win, this looks sweet action if you feel OK with putting out $120 more than the STC-1000. That's a nice feature set for sure and no wiring needed.

Good find!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
CloverBrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

PLEASE for the love of god. Keep us updated. Thank you for the info

Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

This sounds fantastic. Look forward to hearing what you do with it!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
blange3
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

We share hobbies and I have often thought of doing the same thing with a leftover AC Jr. But I also bought an STC-1000.

Peace Love Brew Crew

Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
blackcows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK....so I missed one thing, you would only be able to control one fermentation because you only have one temperature probe, but you still have 4 outlets.

Check out this video....although it obviously talks about controlling a fish tank the controller doesn't care what it controls it's just a box following instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/neptunesystemsvideo

I posted over on the neptune forum to see if I could get a bit more information about the probe and if it could be submerged in wort.

Quick Reply