Trying to cultivate Weihenstephaner Wiesbier yeast from the bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
I have been trying to cultivate the yeast from a bottle of Weihenstephaner wheat beer. One bottle.
I read somewhere that the bottling yeast might not be the same as the fermentation yeast. Would that be the case here?

I got the yeast from the bottom of the bottle -- not the yeast in suspension. Would it have been better to have taken some beer and cultivated yeast from that?

I am not sure about that particular beer. I think the only way to know for sure is to give it a shot. I haven't had the greatest success cultivating yeast, but others have. I wish you the best.

You could get the wyeast weihenstepher yeast :)

Was going to say, you could skip all the trouble and just buy white labs wlp300 or wyeast 3068. They are both supposed to be Weihenstephaner's yeast strain. Unless you just want to have fun trying to cultivate from the bottle, in that case go ahead.

Almost all of the beer exported from Germany now is pasteurized. Not 100% sure if that's the case with that one. In any case, the yeast has had a long journey and may be a pain to culture. I wouldn't culture from a bottle unless it was some kind of hard-to-find yeast.

Was going to say, you could skip all the trouble and just buy white labs wlp300 or wyeast 3068. They are both supposed to be Weihenstephaner's yeast strain. Unless you just want to have fun trying to cultivate from the bottle, in that case go ahead.
Okay. I think I will get that yeast and then keep do the washing to reuse that yeast.

Latest posts

Back