Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Trub in my starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
gtheroux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trub in my starter?

I started with "whitebread" smack pack yeast. I brewed up a small batch of 1/3 cup and ?? Water to hit 1.04 og... But being a noob I added a couple hop pellets to help prevent infection... Did a 15 min boil and pitched yeast at about 60ish( thermometer craped out half way threw)... Aerated the **** out of it and it sat still for 2 days at 71f(will be my batch fermentation temp)...

Then yesterday I found a larger flask and stepped up the starter with 1 cup of Dme and 1l of water... Areated the **** out of it and it fermented in 18 hrs but there is a ton of Trub on the bottom?

Did I step up to fast? Adding the second part with 1 l of wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

That's not trub. That's the entire purpose of making the starter....it's called yeast.

Relax. Everything is fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
gtheroux
Recipes 

I read alot of stuff you write revy... So is there step up size recommendations? Only add so much wort to a starter?

And.... I'm not brewing till Saturday and my starter is done... I just put it in the fridge till Friday night... Decant with a syphon... Let warm as I boil... Does that sound good?

Quick Reply