Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Trub Disposal: weird question??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #11
Pyg1506
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltroha
I do kitchen sink in cold weather months and the grass in the back yard when warm so I can use the garden hose to clean. Why the toilet, btw?
Used the toilet be aide (ironically) I was worries about clogging the drain! Figured lots of Gross sstuff goes through there so why not a little more. Plus-cold winter so I did toss any in the back yard.

Dumped a s*load of bleach is the toilet tonight. Let it sit for a while then flushed. Will repeat several times this week.

Btw: the smell is very earthy and organic. Like you just dug a whole if very wet. Not getting a sewage has smell

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #12
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyg1506 View Post
Used the toilet be aide (ironically) I was worries about clogging the drain! Figured lots of Gross sstuff goes through there so why not a little more. Plus-cold winter so I did toss any in the back yard.

Dumped a s*load of bleach is the toilet tonight. Let it sit for a while then flushed. Will repeat several times this week.

Btw: the smell is very earthy and organic. Like you just dug a whole if very wet. Not getting a sewage has smell
Check under the sink....
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
Pyg1506
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit
Check under the sink....
Hermit---have a pedestal sink. All is clean.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Pyg1506
Recipes 

Wow--sorry for all the typos in my latest response. Damn autocorrect!

Meant to say that I used the toilet because I was afraid of clogging the sink drain.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Padawan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

We have a spare bathroom with a floor drain in it, the bathroom rarely gets used. If i do not pour water down the drain every once in a while it starts to stink like a sewer. the reason is because the trap water is evaporating. so do you have a drain you never use in the room? that could be the issue, although when it happens to me it stinks like **** not dirt.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I dump mine down the drain with no problems. As has been said, if you're getting a smell, it's not necessarily from the yeast, but more likely because you have a leak or a dry pipe somewhere.

I mean, think of all the nasty crap (pun, ha ha) you dump down there. You think you *wouldn't* smell that before the yeast?

Maybe you glopped some yeast down the back where you wouldn't clean as often.

Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale

Old 05-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #17
drainbamage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 822

I'll occasionally dump down the drain, but always while running water to wash it through. No problems yet. Usually, I just dump it in the backyard.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #18
Pyg1506
Recipes 

Thanks for the additional thoughts. No dry drain probs--this is a frequently used bathroom. And to repeat--the smell is very musty but not sewer-like. Over the past several days I've been dumping bleach in the toilet and sink drain with little to no effect so I really don't think they are the culprit. It is certainly possible there could be something hiding that hasn't been cleaned well--looks like sim gonna be a bleaching fool cleaning in there--I do NOT want to pay a plumber!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
Dr_Jeff
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I just about always dump it down the drain into the septic tank.
I thought the yeast was good for it.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyg1506 View Post
New brewer here--8 extract brews in and I have an odd question: Is there anything wrong with disposing of the trub in the toilet (city sewers not septic) ???

I ask this because we are getting a very earthy smell coming from that bathroom (yes--make any jokes you want). I was wondering if the yeast could be adhering to the drains, culturing, and causing the smell or actually be doing something that could result in damage.

Thanks in advance for any legitimate answers!
I can't think of any other way that to be blunt about this, but does your sh!T adhere to the drains and propogate in such a way that would leave you to believe that something even LESS thick would? Why would you think this would act any different that your own waste products?

If you're smelling something musty, I would look for mold or mildew forming somewhere else in the bathroom. Are you in a house or a condo? Is there another water source above you that could be leaking under the wall paper or into the wall board? Could you have a leak behind the toilet under the linoleum? Could something be growing in the gaps of the bath under the bath tub?

Now that the weather's warming up in most of North America, things are starting to "bloom" and that includes molds, mildews, pollens outside. It could very well be a dozen things.

But unless you're getting a toilet backup it's doubtful that your trub anywhere in the system once you flush.

It's really not much different in viscosity to our own poop...that's pretty much what trub is, just from a different creature.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply