Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Tripel/Stalled ferment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
apreswho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tripel/Stalled ferment?

I brewed a Tripel some 5 or so weeks ago now, OG was 1.09, Whitelabs Belgian Yeast. Left it in the primary about a week, and its been in the secondary for about a month...checked the gravity on it today and the SG is only at 1.044, which is about a 51% apparent attenuation. Is there anything i should do to get the fermentation moving along or just leave it alone and wait it out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
rewster452
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm sure someone can give you a better answer, but here's what I'd do. If you're not already fermenting at the high end of the yeast's comfort zone, try warming it up a bit. Simplest solution first. Then try rousing the yeast somehow. Like swirl it around, or sanitize something and give the bottom a couple stirs. Easy does it, this isn't a regulation maneuver, strictly speaking.

Then maybe you want to repitch, if all else fails. But I'm also not sure how much more you'll get. Just out of curiosity, what was your estimated FG?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You should have checked the gravity before racking to the secondary. One week is never enough in the primary for a beer with a gravity of 1.090. Six weeks may not be enough.

Anyways, you have some yeast left in the beer but probably not enough. I would make up a starter and repitch.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
apreswho
Recipes 

yea i was a bit worried i had racked to the secondary too soon. at the time fermentation had appeared to have slowed very considerably but upon moving to the secondary it picked up again. I pitched a half pack of just nuetral nottingham yeast i had lying around just to hopefully get things going again, also gave it a little swirl. any other suggestions?

Old 03-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Warming it up and swirling a few times a day (when you wake up, when you get home from work and when you go to bed) should help.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
rewster452
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

When I first read this I didn't realize how recently you brewed this. I'd just leave it alone now. It's probably just fine.

"When I was seventeen,
I drank some very good beer.
I drank some very good beer I purchased
With a fake ID
My name was Brian McGee
I stayed up listening to Queen
When I was seventeen.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
sjbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did you make a starter for this brew? Which Belgian yeast strain did you use? Stirring would only be effective if you got a big drop in temperature and the yeast dropped out earlier than expected. For some Belgian yeast strains, if this happens then it is extremely difficult to get them active again. Also, adding dry yeast to an already partially fermented brew is typically not very effective unless you had a high amount of simple sugars present.

Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
Secondary: EMPTY
Bottled: Belgian Saison Noel, Chocolate Porter, Raspberry Wheat

Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
apreswho
Recipes 

I did not use a starter, i used whitelabs 550...the temp has been very consistent so maybe its just quite slow...i may add some sugar if you think this would help. Im a bit stuck as far as what may have happened...im starting to think i may be too anxious to drink it and im just not giving it the time it needs

Old 03-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yeah it sounds like you stalled your big beer by racking it off the yeast best able to finish the job, and now the third string, least attenuative yeast can't handle it.

You could try raising the temps, but like I said, you more than likely have the weakest yeast trying to do it....I would consider adding more yeast, and leaving it alone for a few more weeks.

And in the future, especially with bigger beers, don't rack to a secondary until fermentation is complete.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
rewster452
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Revvy is totally right. But this is one of those situations where you can really mess things up trying to fix it. I'd wait. Like a week. If nothing has changed, then start worrying. Maybe repitch then. I bet its just going really slow.

"When I was seventeen,
I drank some very good beer.
I drank some very good beer I purchased
With a fake ID
My name was Brian McGee
I stayed up listening to Queen
When I was seventeen.

Quick Reply