New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > TRIPEL - Fermentation Temps backwards?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
HomeBrewDan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default TRIPEL - Fermentation Temps backwards?

Hello fellow brewers, new member here and I was hoping to get some help on my second brew.

I started up on my second ever 5 gal batch of beer (Belgian Tripel using extract/steeping grains) this previous Wednesday (25th). I started by popping the smack-pack of Wyeast 1388 at 10AM and letting it float in 74*F water for about three hours. I then brewed up a half gallon batch to use as a starter and pitched the yeast into there, about 3 hours before I was ready to pitch it into the 6.5g carboy. Starter airlock was pretty active at this point. I pitched the yeast into the carboy around 6-7 hours after popping the smack pack.

When I pitched the yeast the carboy was at around 72-75F and the fermentation during the first three days was in the mid to lower 70's. Over the past three days the carboy has dropped to about 67/68 degrees F. Airlock shows bubbles every 3-4 secs.

I noticed that many here say to start a tripel out at lower temps (65F) and after 3 or so days raise to mid 70's. I did this backwards... My question then is what effect will this have on my overall product, if any?

Should I raise the temp of the carboy? I have no great way of doing this except buying a heater. I keep the house at about 64-69F ambient.

Thanks for the knowledge- Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You might get some fruity esters but your beer will be fine. I wouldn't raise the temp at all.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
2bluewagons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts

Belgian yeasts might throw off fusel alcohols in the mid-70 range as well. If this beer ends up giving you a headache more than other brews, fermentation temp may be the reason.

Not sure where you are at in the process, but lowering ferm temps can also lead to under-attenuation as well. Are you hitting your estimated FG?

Overall, I agree it will probably be fine, just maybe not as clean as it could be.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
HomeBrewDan
Recipes 

I started with an OG of 1.092 on Wed evening. I haven't checked the gravity since pitching the yeast. I need to buy a turkey baster, large syringe, or some sort of skinny tube on a stick so I can pull beer out of the carboy. I'd rather not use a racking cane to pull a few ounces out of the primary. My plan was to wait another week, rack to secondary, and take a reading then.

By the way, my recipe used:
12#LME (1 gallon),
1lb steeping grains (.5 Belgian aromatic, .5 Munich),
.5lb corn sugar, and
3oz hops (hallertauer, saaz)
Boiled in 4 gal water.
Starter + 0.25g water + .5ish gal wort = a hair over 5 gal

Should I be hitting my FG at day #6 with an OG of 1.092?
I just realized the OG I took doesn't account for the .25gal water and .5 gal of starter-wort I put in after I racked to 4.5gal of wort over... so my OG is probably a hair off...

Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
wing-it
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewDan View Post
Should I be hitting my FG at day #6 with an OG of 1.092?
I just brewed a trippel with OG of 1.080 and it hit it's target FG in 4 days.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

"Should I be hitting my FG at day #6 with an OG of 1.092?"

If it is still bubbling every three to four seconds my guess is that you are not quite there yet. I'm not sure what the attenuation of the yeast you are using is but I would not be at all suprised if your fg is well over 1.020. Let us know how it comes out.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
HomeBrewDan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
"Should I be hitting my FG at day #6 with an OG of 1.092?"

If it is still bubbling every three to four seconds my guess is that you are not quite there yet. I'm not sure what the attenuation of the yeast you are using is but I would not be at all suprised if your fg is well over 1.020. Let us know how it comes out.
Not surprised if my FG WILL be over 1.020 when i am finished or RIGHT NOW...???

Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #8
ekranzusch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really like this tool (the thief) for taking readings. Plus if you sanitize things well enough you can just drain your wort back in.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=5020

+1 on the fusel warning. I like to ferment my belgians at around 70-68 for the entire duration, but I don't need them to be all that fruity either. I think you should be ok.

Last edited by ekranzusch; 12-01-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Mellman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by livErD69 View Post
I really like this tool (the thief) for taking readings. Plus if you sanitize things well enough you can just drain your wort back in.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=5020

+1 on the fusel warning. I like to ferment my belgians at around 70-68 for the entire duration, but I don't need them to be all that fruity either. I think you should be ok.
how well does this tool work at not pulling in all the settled out yeast/crap in the bottom?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewDan View Post
My plan was to wait another week, rack to secondary, and take a reading then.
I would recommend against racking to secondary before you know you've reached FG. I take gravity readings at one week intervals and when I get the same reading two weeks in a row, I know it's finished and I've given the yeast a whole week to clean up after themselves. Racking too early can leave you with a stuck fermentation.

Quick Reply