Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Top Cropping Wheat Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Default Top Cropping Wheat Yeast?

I have been reading about top cropping wheat yeast. Some of the yeast, maybe the best part, is going out the blowoff tube and being lost. The yeast that settles is only part of the yeast.

What if you use fermcap, and not need a blowoff? All the yeast will still be in the fermenter. A slight cold crash will make a lot of it settle.

When kegging/bottling, some yeast can be purposely sucked into the keg/bottling bucket, leaving the bulk to be harvested and washed.

Does that make sense, or am I missing something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
tomwirsing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got similar questions. I'll be doing my first hefe this weekend. Due to an out of stock of Wyeast 3068, I'll use one smack pack of 3068 and one tube of WLP300. With concerns about excessive blowoff, I was thinking about splitting my 10 gallons into 3 carbouys (5 gallon carboys).

Since I'd like to compare the differences between the yeasts, now I'd be up to 4 carboys, which I could still do.

Is the blowoff really excessive and worth the trouble? If it saves me a 1/2 gallon of beer, it'd be worth it to me.

Also, with so much yeast suspended, is it worth harvesting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply