Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Too much yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Dirk7728
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much yeast?

What would happen if i added more yeast than a recipe called for? Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to this? I'm more curious than anything

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Read this.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What NordeastBrewer77 said so eloquently said could also be described said is a couple of sentences. Such as:

Don't worry about what the recipe says for yeast, go off the science of it, calculate how much yeast you need and pitch that amount. Under pitching = too many esters and the possibility of stuck brews (high FG), high fusel alcohols and increased risk of infection.

Over pitching results in reduced esters as required by style, generally accepted as less of a problem and usually only done by home brewers when they pitch directly on to a yeast cake from a previous brew. Otherwise a non-issue.

Many recipes (not on this site so much but rather one at homebrew shops) say hydrate a packet of yeast and pitch.... hmmm they could sell more stuff if they encourage correct pitching rates, I still don't know why they don't push that angle. I would only pay attention to a recipe's recommendation about yeast pitch rates if it said something like, "attempting to get an increased ester profile so intentionally pitch 80% of ideal pitch rate".

Clem

Old 05-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Dirk7728
Recipes 

Quote:
Read this.
Thanks. There was a mountain of great information on that site. Yep "the more I learn, the less I know" LOL

Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk7728 View Post
Thanks. There was a mountain of great information on that site. Yep "the more I learn, the less I know" LOL
Oh for sure!! One of my favorite things about brewing is that it's a constant learning experience.

If you're into the science-y side of things, the book "Yeast......" by Jamil Z and Chris White is a great read on yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine View Post
What NordeastBrewer77 said so eloquently said could also be described said is a couple of sentences.

I respectfully disagree. There's volumes of information on yeast health, pitch rates, etc. One would be hard pressed to gather everything they needed to know about the proper use of brewers yeast from your 'couple of sentences'. Not saying you're incorrect, but some people aren't satisfied with a basic statement of fact, they want to see or learn 'why?'......

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply