Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Too much protein!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Marshi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much protein!?!?

Guys,

I was doing a 15 gallon batch of porter, and I added some kettle finings to settle out the proteins (polyclar) 10 minutes before the end of boil, and did a whirlpool and rest, but I never really saw the beer clear up. I thought this might be normal for a porter, but once I got towards the bottom of my kettle, I realized the proteins probably never really settled out. I only really saw hops in my trub pile (not much protein), so my assumption is that those proteins stayed in the beer and travelled to the fermentor.

I understand that too much protein might hurt the beers life span (make it less stable), but will there be any other serious consequences of not getting those proteins out of the beer? Will it hurt yeast metabolism? Off flavors etc.?

Thanks!

Marshi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshi View Post
Guys,

I was doing a 15 gallon batch of porter, and I added some kettle finings to settle out the proteins (polyclar) 10 minutes before the end of boil, and did a whirlpool and rest, but I never really saw the beer clear up. I thought this might be normal for a porter, but once I got towards the bottom of my kettle, I realized the proteins probably never really settled out. I only really saw hops in my trub pile (not much protein), so my assumption is that those proteins stayed in the beer and travelled to the fermentor.

I understand that too much protein might hurt the beers life span (make it less stable), but will there be any other serious consequences of not getting those proteins out of the beer? Will it hurt yeast metabolism? Off flavors etc.?

Thanks!

Marshi
Since when is polyclar a kettle fining? I've only ever heard of it being added to the secondary fermenter.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Marshi
Recipes 

Haha, not sure, it might be a different type... but for all intents and purposes what I used was a kettle fining, it's like an Irish moss, it's supposed to help with protein coagulation.

Anyways, any thoughts?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Edited: Just kidding, it does look like you can use polyclar as a kettle addition. You should be mixing into a paste or thinner with some water or wort before adding it in- you may have had it clump up when you tossed it in and then the fining ability would be greatly reduced.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I looked it up. I believe they also have a product called Polyclar Brewbrite which mixes is in carrageenan with the "modified" PVPP for use as a kettle fining.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Marshi
Recipes 

No worries, yeah I definitely mixed it with water before adding it. I think my procedures were right on, I'm just worried about too much protein in the fermentor, is that going to produce any off flavors?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshi View Post
No worries, yeah I definitely mixed it with water before adding it. I think my procedures were right on, I'm just worried about too much protein in the fermentor, is that going to produce any off flavors?
Nope, definitely not. There's always going to be at least a little but it doens't affect anything at all. It's down there because it's insoluble, which means nothing in there is getting into your beer. Lots of people don't bother to filter out or whirlpool any trub, including myself. You're good

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Marshi
Recipes 

Hey well alright! Music to my ears, thanks daksin

Quick Reply