Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > too much Oxygenation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default too much Oxygenation?

I use pure 02 for oxygen with a stone. I just saw a post where someone claimed that with pure O2 you could saturate your wort with O2 and "suffocate" the yeast.

He was basically trumpeting his aquarium pump oxygenation setup, where you can't over-oxygenate.

Any truth to this? I use a flow meter with my setup, but just want to know the relative truth of his claim.

Cheers!

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Excessive oxygen would lead to excessive yeast growth and would effect the flavor of the beer. So yeah you can over do the O2.

Are you having problems with your beer? How much O2 are you using?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Pure O2 for 1 minute in a 5 gallon batch with a SS airstone (.5 or 2 micron) will never overdo it. Simple rule that has worked well for me.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheNuke View Post
Pure O2 for 1 minute in a 5 gallon batch with a SS airstone (.5 or 2 micron) will never overdo it. Simple rule that has worked well for me.

That's what I do and it works well.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Unless the wort was under pressure, I don't see any way you could possibly get enough O2 dissolved in wort to really hurt the yeast. It saturates pretty low and everything else just bubbles up and away. BTW - air "saturates the wort" too - every gas does. Carbonating beer is the act of saturating the beer with CO2.

I have seen numerous blogs where people did side-by-side tests of "over-oxygenating" vs normal levels. They still got beer both ways, but the consensus seems to be that the over-oxygenated had similar flavor but didn't seem to have quite the same mouth-feel. That was with people going way over the top with the O2 and trying to see if they can create a difference.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If I recall correctly, the saturation is at about 10 minutes with typical O2 tank in a typical gravity (1.040 -1.050) and stone similar to what the OP listed. _Yeast_ by Jamil Zainasheff and Chriss White details all of this. Basically the tests done by White Yeast have found a typical air pump will increase the O2, but not much about a good stir/shake of the carboy. To really get the oxygen in, you need pure O2 a good stone and about 8 to 10 minutes.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
Dgonza9
Recipes 

I generally go 3 minutes with a stone on a wand, but I have a flow meter set to .5 scfh. That's for 5 gallon batch. For 10 gallons I go 6 minutes at the same flow rate.

I was really just wondering about the whole "suffocate the yeast" idea. Seems kind of fishy to me I always thought the worst case scenario was that the wort wouldn't absorb O2, but would just bubble it out, like if you didn't use a stone.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 06-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer
If I recall correctly, the saturation is at about 10 minutes with typical O2 tank in a typical gravity (1.040 -1.050) and stone similar to what the OP listed. _Yeast_ by Jamil Zainasheff and Chriss White details all of this. Basically the tests done by White Yeast have found a typical air pump will increase the O2, but not much about a good stir/shake of the carboy. To really get the oxygen in, you need pure O2 a good stone and about 8 to 10 minutes.
You don't want to saturate your wort with O2. A few minutes is more than enough.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It's the same concept as fertilizer on your lawn - some is good - too much is not...

Old 06-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheNuke View Post
It's the same concept as fertilizer on your lawn - some is good - too much is not...
Since delivery methods matter, we will need to talk in specifics. Most folks are opening up a tank full blast. I have a flow meter.

I appreciate your comments. But no one is arguing that it's perfectly fine to go nuclear on your wort with O2. But how much is "some" and how much is "too much"?

Anyone out there use a flow meter? This would seem to quantify the O2 somewhat.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Quick Reply