Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Too long in primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
farfromrice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too long in primary

I made a california blonde with a San francisco lager yeast as my frist all grain it has it been in my primary for almost seven weeks. I wanted to bottle it but with my workload and my school load I have not had the time. My main question has it been too long to bottle or should I try kegging it? Also would there be any off flavors from sitting in the primary this long?

Been out of brewing for too long, glad to be back

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Why did you use lager yeast? What temperature has it been fermenting at? I'd just bottle and drink - if you are worried you can use CarbTabs but yeast are still alive in there and you can still bottle prime with corn sugar or DME, just bottle condition for 3-4 weeks.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 02-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromrice View Post
I made a california blonde with a San francisco lager yeast as my frist all grain it has it been in my primary for almost seven weeks. I wanted to bottle it but with my workload and my school load I have not had the time. My main question has it been too long to bottle or should I try kegging it?

Also would there be any off flavors from sitting in the primary this long?
if you're worried about enough viable yeast for carbonation in bottles, it'll be fine.

if the primary has been kept at a reasonable temperature, i doubt you'll have off flavors, but you won't know till you drink it.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You'll be fine. I had two beers stay in primary for even longer than that last year due to life's insanities...when I finally got around to bottling them, they turned out great.

Bottled: Hrothgar Hefe, OktoberFast Ale, Irish Stout, Dopplebock, Schwarzbier
Bottled/Aging: Oaked Concord Wine, Sweet Mead, Raspberry Melomel
Up Next: American Amber, Goblin Rocket Fuel 2.0, Red Rye Ale, Imperial Stout, etc...

Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
KillerKellers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

7 weeks is a little long, but not unheard of... Crack the lid and taste a sample! I am sure its good, bottle it up and enjoy =)

Primary: 10g English Mild, 10g Robust Porter, 10g Skeeter Pee
Keg: Black Cherry Apfelwein, 10g AHS Low Carb Ale, 10g Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale, Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I find that a pint of my own semen makes the best starters.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
farfromrice
Recipes 

Thanks for the input's I thought it should be fine. I used a steam beer lager yeast to experiment a little and the temp has been between 53-55 the whole time

Been out of brewing for too long, glad to be back

Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
scottlindner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

For similar reasons (I'm a new parent juggling parenthood and profession) I let one of my recent brews go in the primary for 3 months before kegging. I didn't bother with a secondary. I tasted a sample and it was outstanding. More surprising is that I've made this brew before, and the yeast kept chomping on it and it finished 6 gravity points lower than it typically does. This certainly changed the results, but it was fantastic.

It's still conditioning in the keg. In a month or so I'll find out if the 3 months sitting on an old yeast cake affected it, but from the sample, I don't believe it did.

Cheers,
Scott

Quick Reply