Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is it too bad if I shake the fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #51
JimTheHick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Wow. Quite the discussion ive missed over the past week.

Threads like these are why I'm letting my premium membership expire.

Burden of proof cuts both ways, and when a new
Person asks for advice they are getting tacit knowledge from other homebrewers, nothing more. We don't present credentials or get paid consulting fees. You say I have to provide scientific evidence that a little swirl is better for the beer and I say you need to provide evidence that a swirl is bad. And the debate goes on into futility. If the fermenting chamber isn't being opened there is no chance to drop anything in. Nor does a swirl require an infection-laden paddle being stuck into the beer.

I provided my advice based upon swirling a batch or two with good results (increased fermentation after a day and increased clearing of the beer), and the lab-based knowledge that unicellular organism growing in suspension like a little shakey-shakey.

Cheers!

--JimTheHick, PhD, Beer Novice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #52
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2643 Times on 2069 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick
Wow. Quite the discussion ive missed over the past week.

Threads like these are why I'm letting my premium membership expire.
I agree that this thread is sour, but I don't understand what that has to do with your premium membership. I pay to contribute to this forum, which has helped probably millions of gallons of beer be better than they would have. I don't expect people to agree on every issue. That would be weird.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #53
JimTheHick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Books that were written in the 90's maybe.. Healthy yeast doesn't just drop out unless you've screwed up somewhere.
This goes past agree/disagree. And it's misleading for the OP. he wants advice about his situation, and if he's asking a question like this it likely means something might be sub-optimal.

The point I'm making is that too many threads deviate wildly from providing an OP guidance on what has worked for people and into these off-topic sniping debates.

So, it has everything to do with my membership. And rather than quietly never come back, I'll leave some feedback at the end of a thread that perfectly sums it up.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #54
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2643 Times on 2069 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick

This goes past agree/disagree. And it's misleading for the OP. he wants advice about his situation, and if he's asking a question like this it likely means something might be sub-optimal.

The point I'm making is that too many threads deviate wildly from providing an OP guidance on what has worked for people and into these off-topic sniping debates.

So, it has everything to do with my membership. And rather than quietly never come back, I'll leave some feedback at the end of a thread that perfectly sums it up.
He asked for advice, and got it from several experienced brewers and a forum moderator. There's nothing in the OP that indicated that there was something subpar about his fermentation, he simply asked if swirling around his carboy was good practice. I think you read into it too much. My comment that you quoted was sound advice as well. If you provide healthy yeast with good conditions you don't need to do anything extra to facilitate a healthy fermentation, period. Now if something was wrong, there are a number of things you could try to do to fix the problem, but that would be off topic, because that's not what the OP was asking about. If this thread offends you I can understand your wanting to leave though, because this was pretty tame in the world of online disagreements. I think most people would prefer that you leave quietly rather than making an exhibition out of it.

Quick Reply