Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is it too bad if I shake the fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #41
Odinperez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Ok, what I was wondering was if swirling a little my carboy in the third day of fermentation with the airlock on will affect my beer? I oxygenated the wort well before the fermentation and the airlock was bubbling just a little at the third day so I was wondering that a soft swirl will help in any way. Not a shake or anything like that. Also I don't have almost any amount of krausen. At least not this time, not like when I brewed stout!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #42
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinperez View Post
Ok, what I was wondering was if swirling a little my carboy in the third day of fermentation with the airlock on will affect my beer? I oxygenated the wort well before the fermentation and the airlock was bubbling just a little at the third day so I was wondering that a soft swirl will help in any way. Not a shake or anything like that. Also I don't have almost any amount of krausen. At least not this time, not like when I brewed stout!

I think that's been covered. I wouldn't waste your time. No benefit, some potential for damaging the beer.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #43
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Best thing to do is keep it dark for 2 or 3 weeks and then work on a pipe line so you are not tempted to mess with the beer

A pipe line is a wonderful thing. Once you get a good supply of beer built up you can ferment longer and bottle condition longer and both of those things will create a better beer. I am just finishing a case that I bottled on Halloween and it is great. And I got 10 or 12 cases bottled with 2 fermenter's full waiting to bottle.

Patience grasshopper and you will get beer
Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #44
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
What on earth would make swirling help you get a better attenuation, providing that your pitch rates were proper and your wort was well oxygenated? What would you be basing this information off of?
It is a standard technique (don't have a cite handy but I think most of the books mention it). The point is to get any early-flocculating yeast off the bottom of the fermenter and back into suspension. It's very common, I do it often. And I've never dropped anything into my fermenter doing it.

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #45
Odinperez
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

So, three weeks in the primary? really? then im kegging. still three weeks? I just want to know to do it.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #46
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResumeMan View Post
It is a standard technique (don't have a cite handy but I think most of the books mention it). The point is to get any early-flocculating yeast off the bottom of the fermenter and back into suspension. It's very common, I do it often. And I've never dropped anything into my fermenter doing it.
I think most of the time it is mentioned in the context of a stalled fermentation in combination with slightly raising temp. Most standard fermentations do not require this step at all.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #47
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
So, three weeks in the primary? really? then im kegging. still three weeks? I just want to know to do it.
Yup 2 or 3 weeks is common. The yeast even though it does not look like they are doing anything are in there busy cleaning up the mess they made in the beer. If you bottle it is three weeks at 70 on average and not really much shorter time kegging. You can force carb the beer in the keg but it still might taste green for awhile. Just letting the keg sit for a couple weeks cold will improve your beer tons.

LOL Heck do not worry about asking questions. We all started the same way at some point and we all got help from others.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #48
DonLiguori
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Never stuck my finger in a pencil sharpener but I know my nose picking will hampered if I do.
False. I feel a well-sharpened and honed finger would do wonders for my seek-and-destroy missions nose-side.

But shaking/swirling the fermentor a few days into the fermentation isn't a bad thing. If the fermentation hasn't sky-rocketed, there will still be some O2 in the head-space that you can work into the depleting/depleted wort. But once that headspace is filled with CO2, all you're going to do is cause the fusel oils and trub scum stuck to the side to fall back into your beer, which is not exactly a good thing. Personally, I'm in the habit of skimming it off at peak fermentation and just getting it the heck away from my beer.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #49
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResumeMan

Books that were written in the 90's maybe.. Healthy yeast doesn't just drop out unless you've screwed up somewhere.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #50
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It's called rousing and there is no harm in it at all. Having spent some time with Shea Comfort ( www.yeastwhisperer.com) he is a proponent of this technique, in fact he rouses daily. It is common practice in winemaking and there is no reason to not carry it over into brewing. Yeast do their best work in suspension...it's the reason we use stir plates with starters. I have read a couple of research articles that support the continuous movement of yeast during fermentation...think giant stir plate.

You need to be smart....good sanitation and gentle stirring, but research shows the effects are positive.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply