Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Tiny bubbles in secondary won't quit!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
HopChef
Brewin's just cookin'!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Tiny bubbles in secondary won't quit!

So I racked my Brewer's Best PSA IPA over to the secondary to dry hop on Oct 7 (had to free up the primary). OG of 1.066 and what I thought was the FG on the 7th of 1.012. These were well within the target ranges, and the fermentation looked like it had completely stopped. So 5 days into dry hopping the temp in my ferm room (spare bathroom donated by the SWMBO) went up to 74, and all of a sudden this layer of tiny bubbles appears on the surface of the beer in the carboy and has not stopped since, even with the temp in the room coming back down to and staying 68-70. The Imperial Blonde Ale in the primary has since started and finished its ferm, and the IPA just bubbles away. My thought was that there was yeast left in suspension and is feeding on left over sugar, but this is my first beer so what do I know. I figured RDWHAHB and let it ride, but I was hoping to get this thing bottled this weekend. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can always check the sg again and see if it changed. Most likely just co2 coming out of suspension.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If 1.012 or somewhere around there was the target fg of the kit you would be ok to go ahead and bottle.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

This is normal for a dry-hopped beer. Hidden inside the pellets are tiny bits of oxygen which lets some of your little yeasty friends wake up a little. Plus the little hop bits provide nucleation sites which the CO2 can form bubbles on. When the bubbles get big enough, they float to the top. Adding to this is your warmer temps which pushes the gas out. 1.012 is a perfect FG for that kit. Take a sample. If the flavor and aroma are where you want them - bottle it. I find that dry-hopping peaks around 5-7 days, after that it begins to drop off and can give a "grassy" flavor.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
HopChef
Brewin's just cookin'!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That makes a lot of sense. I should have asked sooner, but now i know what I'm doing tonight.

Primary: "Dubbel the Pleasure" Belgian Dubbel
Secondary: "The Beast" Barleywine
Aging: Highlander Single Malt Scottish Wee Heavy
On Tap: Blonde Ale #1

"You can't have a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
Frank Zappa

Quick Reply