The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is it time to panic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
MilehighBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it time to panic

Hi all first post here and I have done a lot of reading on what to do here, but I'm not at a loss.
Partial Mash brew
Category Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer
Subcategory Winter Specialty Spiced Beer
Recipe Type Partial Mash
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 3.5 gal.
2.00 lbs. English 2-row Pils info
0.50 lbs. English Wheat Malt info
0.50 lbs. British Crystal 55°L info
6.00 lbs. Pale Liquid info
2.00 lbs. Dry Light Extract info
1.00 lbs. Candi Sugar Clear info
0.25 lbs. Oats Flaked info
2.50 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1.00 oz. Willamette (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
0.50 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 2 min. info
Yeast : WYeast 1214 Belgian Abbey info

Add 0.75 ounces of grated ginger after heat is turned off. Stir and let sit for 15 - 20 minutes.

I was a bit high on the Extract 7.5#. I made a small starter 24hrs prior and I substituted the yeast for WL 530 abbey. SG was 1.110 After 48hrs I was real concerned and read up alot on what to do. I talked to a brew store for advice he advised 4 mroe vials of yeast and to Aerate with 100% o2 for a while and then see. I did all that 24hrs ago, aerated again after 8 and 16 hrs. I pulled a sample to see if the SG has dropped at all and it has not moved. I'm now 4 days in and no bubble no krausen, no signs of fermentation. I now have 100.00 into this and do not want to see it goto waste. Any and all advice is greatly apreciated.

Tailwinds.
P

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Noleafclover
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighBrew View Post
6.00 lbs. Pale Liquid info
My cow-orkers are always giving me pale liquid info.

What is your gravity at now? (sanitized wine thief etc...) Gravity is big because it tells you what your yeasties have done already.

What are you fermenting in? This makes a difference because when I run out of carboys/better bottles I use my old scratchless plastic ale pales. Beer always turns out good but sometimes I don't get the fun with the little do-hickey girating in my three-piece airlock because the seals on those pails can sometimes be lacking.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Stop aerating.

Give the latest additions of yeast a chance to kick in. Temp should be around 68 until obvious signs of fermentation. Let it rise naturally with ferment.

WL yeast straight from the vial is slow to start. Give it a chance. there is no way that 5 vials will not do the job. Within 48 hours this thing will be going crazy. Guaranteed.

Stop messing with it and don't even think about it for 48 more hours. Be prepared with a blow off tube.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
Noleafclover
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Stop aerating.
From what I've been told/read, you aerate prior to pitching yeast but not after. So this is probably good advice.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

With a 1.110 wort and no starter, I'd have expected it to take 4-5 days to get going. As long as you keep aerating, the yeast will continue growing. Once they stop growing, they switch to fermenting. Something should noticeable in another 48-72 hours.

Next time you make a beer this big, I'd recommend making a smaller beer and using the cake.

Stepped ferment: Another alternative for a partial mash would be to mash the grains and add part of the extract, maybe 1/4 of it, in 3 gallons of wort. Once the wort is chugging, boil the rest of the extract in enough water to make 2 gallons, chill and add it to the fermenter. Stepped fermentations are most often used for mead, but nothing says you can't use them with PM.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
MilehighBrew
Recipes 

Thanks for all the help, I mainly had to post to air it out to the good Karma forum gods that would make it start fermenting as soon as I posted it, And it worked. Checked this morning and it was bubbling nice and consistantly.

I did have a starter just not a very big one and next time I will do a stepped up starter with multiple SG starters and 2 vials of yeast just to make sure. This was my first HG brew and it was not supposed to get even that high so I got a bit worried.

I bought a .5 micron aeration system to aerate with and I followed their schedule for aerating that high of a SG. I will let you all know how it works out and thanks again for all the advice.

Tailwinds

PPD

Old 10-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighBrew View Post
I bought a .5 micron aeration system to aerate with and I followed their schedule for aerating that high of a SG.

Tailwinds

PPD
Just curious what kind of schedule the system advised. I just have a 2 micron stone and O2 tank and generally just aerate immediately defore the yeast picth for 60 seconds or so. If there is a schedule from a system Mfr that advises multiple aeration for a larger beer, I'd be interested in seeing what they advise.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Your LHBS owner recommended 4 more vials?!?! What a jackass(him not you).Next time either make a huge starter or like david said pitch onto a cake.It's A LOT cheaper.

Edit: I see you made a starter.Next time you make a big beer like this check out the pitching calculator on mr. malty.com

Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
MilehighBrew
Recipes 

I was thinking that 4 more vials was a bit over the top, but I was in kinda panic mode and thought that it was better than this batch going nowhere. Next batch for sure I will make sure that I make a propper starter and hopefully have a cake to pitch onto also.

I will look at the O2 aeration system I bought and post their guidance when I get home from work tonite for you Zen

Tailwinds

PPD

Old 10-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #10
MilehighBrew
Recipes 

ok I bought a gulfstream brewing products 02 .5 micron stone and valve. On it there were many tips. 5 gal of wort SG 1.070 plus 2.5-3min and once additionally in 12-14 hours. It looks like this is recomended from Wyeast. Any how the brew is bubbling away very nicely.

Thanks again
Tailwinds
PPD

Quick Reply